Poems... (1 Viewer)

verdades

HSC
Any tips?
I'm doing kind of semi-autobiographical anthology, exploring things that people can hopefully relate to.
Styles, techniques, etc?

Some poets I've already seen are Sylvia Plath [gag, but confessional style] and Robert Lowell.
Also, there's By the River by Stephen King which I want to read, but does anyone know of other poets in this vague kind of range?

Thanks in advance =]

jet

Banned
HSC
I find Plath amazing.

But, if you look at plath, you need to look at hughes. Its like reading a dialogue between the two.
People say it, but you dont realise how much until you read them.

Another confessional is snodgrass. and, even though he might not be auutobiographical, everyone studies T. S. eliot.

E

Empyrean444

I think Wordsworth wrote a semi-autobiographical (or similar) poem. I am not sure of the name, but it will most probably be useful for your technical application and development if you can find it.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
couple that spring to mind:

- sylvia plath (wtf @ 'gag' :confused:)
- wislowa szymborska
- miklos radnoti
- ted hughes
- seamus heaney (the flight path?; the spirit level)
- peter skrzynecki
- rita ann higgins
- dorothy porter (crete)

sorry, vague memory.

eliseliselise

HSC
i'm quite a fan of 'after babel' by peter goldsworthy..

it might not pop up on a normal google search but a book called 'tuesday night live' [im pretty sure you can google book search this one] has that poem and heaps of other kinda obscure/unusual poems. :)

as for tips... um
-paint a picture [use multisensory imagery, metaphors, use short, sharp strokes, use symbols and comparisons easily recognised by audience]
-begin with the end in mind [use moral or a twist]
-use exercises [picture stimulus]
-write what you know [give an insight into ur passions, be complex and cryptic]
-get as many opinions on your poems as possible!! [purely due to the subjectivity of poetry this thread is testament to that-- i have a fetish for plath whilst others hate her with a vengeance ;)]
-have fun with it!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)