Policy regarding changes in assignment date and guidlines? (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone knows what to do about the following situation:

A unit i'm doing has this massive confusing report. Was originally due wednesday and as i have 4 other assessments this week,i planned around it and had it finished a few days ago. Tonight, notice comes up on webct that changes the due date to fri, cancels tomorrow's classes to do assignment BUT also CHANGES the guidelines/content of the assignment.

This basically means that my assignment is at least 50% wrong now because the lecturer introduced 2 main areas of "research"/discussion/critique... Myself and others think this is completely unfair as in order to accommodate people who have no idea what they're doing, she's majorly disadvantaged those of us who did do it how we were initially told to.

It's not just a case of confusion eitehr because she provided us with overheads, and the tutors gave us a sample "outline" and both these were similar - but both are different to the "new guidlines".

How would you go about complaining about this? is there any ability to do so now or is the standard wait until when review of marks time comes up?

I'm assuming they'd say "well you got extra days to do it", but considering the world doesn't revolve around this one unit, extra days doesn't cut it because other units have major assessments due...

Any advice would be great guys :)

Angel45

HSC
Hey, the only loosely related thing I can see in the uni policy is:
Notification to Students of Assessment Tasks
(29) Any variation in the assessment task/s after assessment information has been provided to students in the unit outline, and that affects all students within a unit, will only be made in exceptional circumstances. The Head of School is to approve such changes, and all students should be formally notified in writing.
Tricky though, because normally the outline doesn’t contain much information on the assessment anyway. But if the changes deviate too much (and I guess the due date does) then maybe go to the Head of School. Depends if you want to spend time now doing that, or just doing the assignment in line with the changes.

L

LaraB

ta :)

I'll keep that in mind and come back to it around 'official appeal' time...

Have waaaay too much uni stuff atm to have time to complain now n way too little time to fix it thanks to Constit lol :p

j_davo24

HSC
Id suggest talking to the head of the school or dean of students or something and making a formal complaint. Changing of the date isnt such an issue but to completely change the content of the assessment is unbelievable. You should have a decent argument.

A mate complained because the lecturer said the final exam would have multiple choice in it and it didn't. So he got some others to complain as well and they were allowed to resit the test. So some good can of complaining.

L

LaraB

j_davo24 said:
Id suggest talking to the head of the school or dean of students or something and making a formal complaint. Changing of the date isnt such an issue but to completely change the content of the assessment is unbelievable. You should have a decent argument.

A mate complained because the lecturer said the final exam would have multiple choice in it and it didn't. So he got some others to complain as well and they were allowed to resit the test. So some good can of complaining.
Wow didn't think those kind of complainats ever worked lol
- thanx.

Only prob with ours is that it wasnt the "whole content" as such, but some new components and since we had extra time and since students who couldn't be f*cked doing their work by the real due date are all celebrating and literally telling the lecturer how much they love her and how she's a "godsend" i get a feeling we're the minority... :p

I suppose one good thing might be that this week's class won't be covred in the exam, but knowing this coordinator i doubt it lol - she included topics we didn't have classes on in the assignment too :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)