Pope Pius 12-Major Project Topic (1 Viewer)

Dinamo

HSC
Anyone have any info on this topic? i'm pretty stuck
cheers for the help.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Intriuging topic indeed! What angle were you taking for your project. I know some sources I could recommend depending on what you were focusing on about him. You shouldn't be getting too stuck, especially if you were looking at the controversy of his life and significance. Wikipedia alone, has an extensive list of sources that you could utilise for the Major work.

Also John Cornwell's 'Hitler's pope : the secret history of Pius XII' is a very great source. Has in depth information and greatly referenced (from what I can recall, I read the book quite a few years ago).

If you can provide a bit more information in terms of what specifics you were looking at, I can have a look through some of my resources and give some better recommendations, and as such.

Good Luck with your major work though, very interesting topic. n_n Hope everything falls into place and that it can get underway!

Dinamo

HSC
Yeah it's pretty interesting, better than the typical topics for the major i guess. That's the issue i guess, i've decided to focus on his role in preventing the persecution of Jews during WW2. Thing is, i don't know whether theres enough debate on it-and if so, i don't know where to look. lol

I just finished reading that too, but it focused on his early life. So does that mean i include his life prior to becoming pope...or do i solely focus on his actions duriingWW2. In saying that, do i have to incorporate his early life and make connections to his actions during WW2? i dunno

any advice?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Sorry for the late reply, assessments were taking over. D:

So maybe you could evaluate his role in preventing the persecution of Jews during World War II (therefore, it is forcing you to make an argument and judgement when you're evaluating his significance in the situation). If this angle doesn't work out also looking at his Liturgical Reforms would be quite interesting to undertake for the History Extension project. Other than the Internet, Library (I know there is a virtual Jewish Library on the Internet somewhere, but can't seem to recall the actual URL address) I really couldn't recommend any sources. You might have to ask your teacher, but see if you are able to get access to some Magazines and Newspapers dating from World War II; I know that both the Time Magazine and the New York Times published articles which were highly controversial to Pius. Getting access to those articles would be fantastic for your investigation; as they are primary and wham a tonne of controversy into your Major work. They might even be on the internet somewhere.

My school does this 'SWOT' analysis activity in a number of social science subjects and History subjects. Basically the acronym stands for "Strengths - Weaknesses - Opportunities - Threats"; so that by evaluating the significance, impact or contribution of an individual would encompass all information. Therefore, I would make brief reference to his early life; such as his opportunies which therefore led to his personal beliefs. However, don't let the narrative take over your Major Work.

Best of Luck with your History Extension Major Work. Again apologies for the late reply, I wish you all the best. n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)