Possible Pathways to Dentistry / Medicine (1 Viewer)

onytae

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking to get into Dentistry or Medicine. What are some possible undergraduate pathways for dentistry? (and their requirements/cut-offs/umat scores). And for medicine is it better to go with the UMAT or GAMSAT pathway. I'm aiming for an atar 99+, which is achievable. Also I want to know if work experience is important for the application into these courses. Any help would be great!

x3Reii

HSC
In metropolitan sydney, only USYD offer Dentistry however its a post-grad course. I'd recommend doing B Sc/Ad Sc/Med Sc and then do post-grad dent. Requirements are pretty rough for dentistry, you must do GAMSAT which I heard is 100 times harder than UMAT (its a REALLY long exam) as well as having a 5.5 GPA (which is basically a distinction? I'm not sure) and passing an interview. In NSW, Charles Sturt also offers dentistry which has a cut-off of 90 but they have a preference to rural students and you have to demonstrate you're commitment to practice in rural NSW to get accepted there. You could always try inter-state? I know University of Adelaide and JCU offers it and I think University of Queensland does too.

I'm not too sure about medicine but you'll be wanting to do UMAT over GAMSAT and its very competitive so a HIGH ATAR as well as a HIGH score in UMAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)