• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

Possible questions for Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

tamorapierce13

warning: errant mind
HSC
Couldn't find anything like this anywhere, so here goes. Mods, please make this a sticky. Thanks!

Post any questions from your half-yearlies/trials that you want me to add below.

Module B: Critical Study of Texts

The prescribed texts are:
– Gwen Harwood, Selected Poems: A New Edition
* "Alter Ego"
* "The Glass Jar"
* "At Mornington"
* "Prize-Giving"
* "Father and Child (Parts I and II)
* "The Violets"

2004 HSC Question 7 - Poetry
"Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place."

Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.

In your response, refer to TWO poems you have studied.

2005 HSC Question 7 - Poetry
Your class has been exploring the question, "What will continue to make Harwood’s poetry worthy of critical study?"

Your personal response has been challenged by another student. Defend your response through a critical evaluation of Harwood’s poetry, analysing the construction, content and language of the text.

In your response, refer to THREE poems you have studied.

2006 Trials Question 5 - Poetry
"For each of us, every poet has a crucial poem which defines their central ideas."

Write the transcript of a discussion between two people who disagree about what is the most important poem. The discussion should include why it is the crucial poem.

Last edited:

brolgaballet

~Sarah ~
HSC
i think that Gwen Harwood, the beauty is that yes, she is timeless, but her poetry articulates what can only be seen by "light's sidelong shift" (Alther Ego). It is important to explore the religious and musical allusions. Foucus on Jung and Freud and feminism can explore the patriachal family unit compared to our context today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)