PowerPlay Antony and Cleopatra Help (1 Viewer)

catmaster

HSC
Hii!
Everyone who does english knows with the english assessment tasks, its 40 minutes right?
Does anyone know the best essay methods because i find it exceedingly hard to write 5 or more pages in 40 minutes (using the ruled lined paper, not the board of studies booklet) Because in the preliminary course, i was able to fit 3 pages, within this time limit. I've no problem in memorising quotes and stuff, but its the time limit which really annoys me.
I've written a few draft practise essays and i realise i can only write 4 pages at max.
I have a few questions:
1) Are we expected to finish our essay
2) How do people write 5 or more pages within this limit? (Its like a miracle:confused: )
3) Why is it 40 minutes?

and can anyone help with time management? pleaseeee if anyone can, provide hints and tips (Apart from telling me to be organised...coz i don't experience this problem in any of my other subjects)
thank you..

Im a maths sort of guy so yer:
In 40 minutes
i must leave 5 mins out for double checking, this leaves 35 mins
in 35 minutes i need 5 pages, thus its 7 minutes a page (It impossible to me)
since i have 13 paragraphs its 2.69 minutes a paragraph with 10.76 seconds for each line........im am so panicking :bomb:

==========================================================================

So do we actually need 5 pages?
or do we just need to finish the essay

Last edited:

Wu Hou

HSC
catmaster said:
Hii!
Everyone who does english knows with the english assessment tasks, its 40 minutes right?
Does anyone know the best essay methods because i find it exceedingly hard to write 5 or more pages in 40 minutes (using the ruled lined paper, not the board of studies booklet) Because in the preliminary course, i was able to fit 3 pages, within this time limit. I've no problem in memorising quotes and stuff, but its the time limit which really annoys me.
I've written a few draft practise essays and i realise i can only write 4 pages at max.
I have a few questions:
1) Are we expected to finish our essay
2) How do people write 5 or more pages within this limit? (Its like a miracle:confused: )
3) Why is it 40 minutes?

and can anyone help with time management? pleaseeee if anyone can, provide hints and tips (Apart from telling me to be organised...coz i don't experience this problem in any of my other subjects)
thank you..

Im a maths sort of guy so yer:
In 40 minutes
i must leave 5 mins out for double checking, this leaves 35 mins
in 35 minutes i need 5 pages, thus its 7 minutes a page (It impossible to me)
since i have 13 paragraphs its 2.69 minutes a paragraph with 10.76 seconds for each line........im am so panicking :bomb:
a) Yes. You will lose a lot of marks if you do not finish your essay. You technically should not get above a C grade if you don't structure it properly ie. have a complete andconclusive conclusion.
b) people do this because
1) they memorize essays (not a good plan;)
2) theyare very good at essay writing under pressure, they practise lots or both.
c) the whole HSC is about working under pressure, and 40 minutes is really only just enough time to write a decent and detailed essay.

a tip: make sure you're writing the right stuff. keep out unneccessary detail such as plot summary. you won't get ANY marks for padding. Not at all. zero. nothing. No Thing. Nada. 0.

also read the marking criteria to make sure you're adressing the right question. they like to try and trick you sometimes. We had no tricks so probably you'll get a few.

Antony and Cleopatra you need to not talk too much about power, but how the writer influences your interpretation, etc. how do you see the power shift?

especially the fact that by the end Antony can't even kill himself, and nothing spells failure like stuffing up honourable suicide.

enjoy.

Last edited:

Marinatos

HSC
You don't need five pages, as long as your essay contains all the right information. Length does affect a markers perception, but since everyone's writing and writing style is different, there is no "you must write 5 pages or fail". I know people who do twelve pages, but their writing is hue and they have like one paragraph per page. I used to only be able to do four, but in my micourses I managed five, mainly because my writing got bigger and messy-er, I knew the topic really well and had been writing lots in the lead up. Don't stress though. Not being able to write 5 pages in 40 minutes is not about to make you fail.

Ioniza

HSC
i hate english.. least favorite subject.. and it HAD to be the only compulsory one!

jemb0t

HSC
I've gone through a variety of different techniques in order to be able to write a substantial/adequate amount within the 40min time.

My teacher basically used the analagy of 'tip of the iceberg'. Show the examiners the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your knowledge to imply further knowledge of the subject. Be brief but direct. Don't prattle on with useless information that reiterates something you said 2 sentences ago.

Hilary-Jane

HSC
catmaster said:
Hii!
The best thing to do is remember
-Guess what?:
The Intro, you usually don't have time for detailed telling of the story, and it isn't necessary, briefly outline exactly what you're going to say. It's like your plan (I usually don't have time to write a plan like my teacher keeps telling me to)

-Prove it!:
This is where you can systematically dissect your introduction. Write two or three concise paragraphs on each of the points you mentioned earlier showing how each link in the process.

-So What?:
now that you've stated what you think and how it all connects, take it further and explain through your own interpretations what this means, and how it affects the text.

It doesn't have to be 5 pages or anything specific, just be concise and know exactly what you want to say before you get in there.

My English exam is on Friday!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)