Practical Legal Training (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Do we have this at Macquarie?

Also, can someone please explain what PLT involves and how this helps us to become a lawyer... i.e. what are the steps involved?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
No, we don't have it. UWS, UTS and UOW do. Me and a few others of MULS have been trying to get them to bring it in! You can however do it at the college of law.

You cannot become a lawyer with out PLT, it involves 15 weeks further study plus 75 days work experience and then you get your practicing certificate.

See here http://www.collaw.edu.au/pp/NSW/index.asp

miss-smexy

HSC
melsc said:
No, we don't have it. UWS, UTS and UOW do. Me and a few others of MULS have been trying to get them to bring it in! You can however do it at the college of law.

You cannot become a lawyer with out PLT, it involves 15 weeks further study plus 75 days work experience and then you get your practicing certificate.

See here http://www.collaw.edu.au/pp/NSW/index.asp
ohh okay. Thanks for that!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm a tad slow on this thread, but just so you know, if you do the ADR unit at Mac, you get credit for it towards the PLT, so its one less unit you have to take. Also, if you do legal work during your degree, you can (generally) count those hours towards the 75 days.

miss-smexy

HSC
MaryJane said:
I'm a tad slow on this thread, but just so you know, if you do the ADR unit at Mac, you get credit for it towards the PLT, so its one less unit you have to take. Also, if you do legal work during your degree, you can (generally) count those hours towards the 75 days.
Are there any special requirements that you need to do the ADR unit? E.g. is it competitive and do you need a D average to do this unit?

X

xeuyrawp

To be honest, you're not going to go very far in a law degree if you don't do even some of your own work.

Have a read of this, and then Google / search the MQ website for things that aren't making complete sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
To be honest, you're not going to go very far in a law degree if you don't do even some of your own work.

Have a read of this, and then Google / search the MQ website for things that aren't making complete sense.
iawtc.

I spent 2 seconds on google typing in "adr law" and found out it was alternative dispute resolution.

And then another 3 seconds typing in 'alternative...' to find this http://www.law.mq.edu.au/html/dept/bus_units.htm.

Hope it's useful, but don't they teach legal research as a compulsory first year subject at mac?

edit: Btw that link i provided is for business law units, you might need to look for the law units. Unless at macquarie law is not its own faculty?

Last edited:

miss-smexy

HSC
PwarYuex said:

Thanks for the links PwarYeux and Bobness. Actually, I did a search about PLT at MQ before posting my first comment and so I just wanted to confirm - and I couldn't find any other posts about PLT at MQ. Also, I did look at the list of MQ LAW units before asking what ADR stands for but I couldn't find anything under the list - guess I should have just googled it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)