Predictions about the DET Netbooks affect on marks (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Do you think they will have boosted or decreased our marks.

Personally I have heard many papers had horrid handwriting, so I am assuming marks will be lower

Dedication_

HSC

Personally I have heard many papers had horrid handwriting, so I am assuming marks will be lower
I so planted this seed.

Well I think they're handy for easy access to files and such, but it's inevitable that students handwriting wouldn't be as on par with previous years... honestly technology will do this right?

I reckon decrease :( Hard to say though, not everyone used their laptops.

HSC
N/A
Everyone in my year spent their HSC watching movies and playing games. I fear our school rank will decrease to the 600's

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't forget, most students had access to netbooks - hence, it should be worth noting that the negative/positive effect should be seen across the board, not just at your school. With that said, different schools will have different proportions is distracted students and so, I feel that selective schools will pull further ahead from comprehensive schools.

samantha.rose

Samantha Rose
HSC
i've used my netbook like 3 times since getting it. too much effort to use... takes like 5 mins to turn on/off, keyboard is too small, it's heavy, and i love handwritten notes :p

Rawf

HSC
Wasn't there another thread like this?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Heaps of students claim the netbooks are useless for work, and seems like most people supposedly stopped using them during year 9 or 10... So it puzzles me as to how handwriting this year was so bad.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't really use mine extensively (was useful for when I brought it for my study periods to do particular things), but I feel sorry for whoever has to read the last page of my AOS essay in English-I had the worst wrist cramp ever and it made me writing fairly shocking, but I was just trying to push through and finish. Iced it after the exam, man it was painful. I had no trouble in Modules and I wrote stacks more or EE1-was very bizarre.

I have seen them being used for both learning aid and distraction at my comprehensive. Probably more distraction, but I imagine those people would have found other ways to procrastinate without them.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't really use mine extensively (was useful for when I brought it for my study periods to do particular things), but I feel sorry for whoever has to read the last page of my AOS essay in English-I had the worst wrist cramp ever and it made me writing fairly shocking, but I was just trying to push through and finish. Iced it after the exam, man it was painful. I had no trouble in Modules and I wrote stacks more or EE1-was very bizarre.

I have seen them being used for both learning aid and distraction at my comprehensive. Probably more distraction, but I imagine those people would have found other ways to procrastinate without them.
It's funny, for me, English was the least painful exam. I found physics and chemistry the most painful - probably because of the amount of information I was prepared to write (over filled most questions, little space remained) and multiple booklets - not to mention that it was a 3 hour exam.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate how little space they give you to write in sciences.

Though what I hated most was the fact the supervisors refused to give me extra booklets at the start, but would take like 2 mins to get over to bring me a new one, but then arguing with me in the middle of the HSC when I wanted multiple ones so I wouldn't have to get my thought pattern continuously interrupted *le sigh* No kidding did I need the extra 4 booklets in EE1.

ahdil33

HSC
Transformed my ranks from being in the bottom 30 to the top 30 since they were introduced. They can be a distraction, but if used correctly are priceless.

Aysce

HSC
Transformed my ranks from being in the bottom 30 to the top 30 since they were introduced. They can be a distraction, but if used correctly are priceless.
I also agree with the latter part of your statement - I found that they are great resources when used properly. Sadly, most people in my school abused the privilege for their own personal entertainment.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm assuming there was more than say 30 students in the cohort...

:D

eat_well

HSC
Barely anyone from my school used the laptops by Year 12 unless it was towards something productive.

I guess the marks for my school would stay about the same but I can't speak for the rest of NSW.

madharris

HSC
N/A
My school never got them since I got to a private school.
However most students have laptops which were constantly used to search the internet, play games, etc (even in HSC year)

But from what I've heard about the DET Netbooks, not many people use them anymore so I don't think marks or handwriting will change. At least not too drastically

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

I think that DET Laptops are not a problem at my school. I go to a government school where everyone was issued one and many didn't even use them as much in the final year. As for the horrible handwritting, It is quite possible that this year had the most horrible handwriting, but I don't think notebooks/laptops are to blame. Some students at my school used the laptops appropriately and frequently for research, assignments and stuff.. whilst the majority used it for playing games and stuff. We actually didn't use the laptops in class unless instructed by a teacher. So handwriting at our school should've been of the same standards as of previous students. People are also forgetting mobile touch phones. These were a major distractions in class as students would secretly play games and stuff by hiding it under the desk. They also used this to take photos of presentations as most were too lazy to write. From what I've heard, generally the laptops and other technological devices would decrease our ATAR by few points or marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)