Predictions for Genetics? (1 Viewer)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
There is a similar post regarding communication, however I thought I should make one concerning the genetics option seeing as it is just as popular.

Moving on, what do you think will be asked in this option? I'm most concerned about the big 6/7 markers at the end.

2006:
Gene expression (5 marks)
Advancements in our understanding of genetics have changed our understanding of how an organism functions ( 7 marks)

2007:
Humane genome (7 marks)

2008:
Linked Genes & Mutations (6 marks)
Holistic response on understanding health & disease (7 marks)

2009:
Protein Synthesis (5 marks)
Linked Genes Model (6 marks)
Gene therapy & Mutations (7 marks)

2010:
Gene cloning & Cascades (7 marks)

2011:
Human genome project (6 marks)
Holistic response on technologies used to determine relationships between species (7 marks)

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
I reckon it will be similar to the 2006 question

Advancements in our understanding of genetics have changed our understanding of how an organism functions ( 7 marks)

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I think it's pretty hard to predict seeing as the questions have been heaps varied in previous years. They've pulled questions from every part of the syllabus, with the only repeats being linked genes and human genome.

I think they might have a thourough protein synthesis question

madharris

HSC
N/A
I would love if it was cloning, or a broad one on reproductive technology :)

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Broad questions are difficult! Although it's broad, its still 7 marks and they kinda expect you to zone in on a specific point and explain it in detail, whilst referencing others.

I'd love one on DNA fingerprinting

madharris

HSC
N/A
Broad questions are difficult! Although it's broad, its still 7 marks and they kinda expect you to zone in on a specific point and explain it in detail, whilst referencing others.

I'd love one on DNA fingerprinting
DNA fingerprinting is not a big enough syllabus topic. However, you may be on to something as they don't do fingerprinting usually, so maybe it might be like 4 or 5 marks?

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Yeah it was a 5 mark question in my trial this year! (my school wrote the option as we hadn't covered it entirely yet)

I'd would absolutely hate one on gene expression, I find it hard to grasp. It's not looking to good either seeing as it hasn't been asked since 2006.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm fucked if it's focussing on anything in the major dotpoint 8 (or whatever the last one is)
Like, no matter how many times I read over my notes, textbooks/ do a question, I can never get the concept of the HOX genes and stuff like that

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I had to read that quite a few times...
I just remember that Hox genes are regulatory genes (switching genes on and off) which thus control morphogenesis

HSC
Uni Grad
PCR steps (denaturation, annealing, elongation, hold +explain these and give temperature details)
components of PCR (taq polymerase, buffer, MgCl2, DNA template etc.)

HSC
Uni Grad
lac operon (detailed knowledge, effects of mutations on various genes and initiation sequences)

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I use the trp-operon for gene expression. I suppose it doesn't exactly matter as long as you know one in detail.
Or should you know both?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)