Prelim course question (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was hoping someone could help me out with this:

1. Using a FOR ... DO loop, design an algorithm that displays Hello! five times and then displays goodbye!

Ive got this:

Code:
BEGIN<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
            FOR loop_index = 1 to 5 DO<o:p></o:p>
                        Display Hello! ;<o:p></o:p>
            ENDFOR<o:p></o:p>
            Display Goodbye! <o:p></o:p>
END<o:p></o:p>
Extension: Incorporate a nested FOR ... DO loop so that only *# is repeated

How would i do the extension?

Cheers, KK

Last edited by a moderator:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
aah wtf put some spaces so it wont show as smileys!

BEGIN
FOR i = 1 TO 5 DO
DISPLAY "Hello"
ENDFOR
DISPLAY "Goodbye"
END

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ask the user for input, then display FOR i = 1 TO x....if that is what you mean.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
this is how i learnt it, even though FOR loops for algorithms are not BOS apporoved.

BEGIN
FOR i = 1 TO 5
Display "Hello!" ;display is not a BOS approved algorithm key word
NEXT i
Display "Goodbye"
END

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
this is how i learnt it, even though FOR loops for algorithms are not BOS apporoved.

BEGIN
FOR i = 1 TO 5
Display "Hello!" ;display is not a BOS approved algorithm key word
NEXT i
Display "Goodbye"
END

hes 1/2 right hsc markers care about what is going on the program however hsc makers prefer things simple

like...

input
output
print
store/save
load

stuff like that...for your algoithm it should be print instead of display

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
aaaman said:
hes 1/2 right hsc markers care about what is going on the program however hsc makers prefer things simple

like...

input
output
print
store/save
load

stuff like that...for your algoithm it should be print instead of display
where did i get the 1/2 wrong then?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
for using display instead of print, a question like that would only be worth 1-2 marks anyway one would think.

*sparklez...

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
for using display instead of print, a question like that would only be worth 1-2 marks anyway one would think.
but doesn't that depend on whether you're writing the pseudocode or the source code?? coz i would think that "display" is acceptable in pseudocode but wouldn't be recognised in the programming language...which in that case, print shoud be used (if you're displaying on the module)

meh what would i care?? i've never heard of a FOR-DO loop lmao

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
*sparklez... said:
but doesn't that depend on whether you're writing the pseudocode or the source code?? coz i would think that "display" is acceptable in pseudocode but wouldn't be recognised in the programming language...which in that case, print shoud be used (if you're displaying on the module)

meh what would i care?? i've never heard of a FOR-DO loop lmao
the FOR - DO is part of the code of Visual Basic.

and we are writing PESUDOCODE. in the HSC, they will never test you on a specific programming language. therefore, i suggest that we do stick with the pseudocode guidelines.

and this display vs. print thing...HSC markers prefer to use 'display' because 'print' can be confusing. its an actual command for many programming languages, and it can also imply a non-electronic output --> ie printing out "hello!" on a sheet of paper. also, please dont capitalise display --> its not a perscribed pseudocode key term.

*sparklez...

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
the FOR - DO is part of the code of Visual Basic.

and we are writing PESUDOCODE. in the HSC, they will never test you on a specific programming language. therefore, i suggest that we do stick with the pseudocode guidelines.

and this display vs. print thing...HSC markers prefer to use 'display' because 'print' can be confusing. its an actual command for many programming languages, and it can also imply a non-electronic output --> ie printing out "hello!" on a sheet of paper. also, please dont capitalise display --> its not a perscribed pseudocode key term.
*raises eyebrows* ummz...if you re-read what i wrote...you'll see that you had just explained what i had wrote in a more complex yet understanding way and i am aware that display is not a prescribed pseudocode key term just like the word increment

live.fast

HSC
N/A
woah...you can't use display? or you can't use print?
aaannd

what other words or things aren't BOS approved, for algorithms?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
WOW! You just revived such an old thread.

If you read through it Mountain.Dew correctly answered it being that in the HSC you are only EVER asked to write something in pesudocode not in a specific programming language thus 'display' would be the correct term to use.

So basically when answering a question in the HSC you use correct pesudocode terms for your algorithms.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Our teacher is teaching us to use 'Print' OR 'display' for the pseudocode, not just display. And in some books, it has 'print'. So that's why I'm asking now, what other stuff is not allowed in the pseudocode, for the HSC? Is there like a list where I can get what is and is not allowed for algorithms, with regards to stuff like that?

dddman

Banned
HSC
live.fast said:
Our teacher is teaching us to use 'Print' OR 'display' for the pseudocode, not just display. And in some books, it has 'print'. So that's why I'm asking now, what other stuff is not allowed in the pseudocode, for the HSC? Is there like a list where I can get what is and is not allowed for algorithms, with regards to stuff like that?
what teacher/author writes in their pseudocode is a reflection of ones personality, like you teacher likes to use print/display, a book would only say print. the point of pseudocode is that you can code something to make it work in the correct manner.

words are acceptable are

input
output
print
store/save
load
print
display

...theres other that i cant think off atm however words arnt acceptable are

transfer
copy
paste
repeat(not the reserve word used for repeat..untill loops)

and many others...

is there a word that your wondering if it is acceptable or not

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Fair enough. As long as the pseudocode is clear to the marker. Just make sure these words are NOT capitalised. only BOS approved algorithm key terms, like REPEAT UNTIL IF ENDIF WHILE ENDWHILE etc etc...are to be capitalised.

dddman

Banned
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
Fair enough. As long as the pseudocode is clear to the marker. Just make sure these words are NOT capitalised. only BOS approved algorithm key terms, like REPEAT UNTIL IF ENDIF WHILE ENDWHILE etc etc...are to be capitalised.
i used caps for print and load, its just simply on ones character

*sparklez...

HSC
dddman said:
i used caps for print and load, its just simply on ones character
ok wait!! so is what mountain dew said correct coz if so...i'll have to remember that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)