Prelim vs hsc (1 Viewer)

undertale

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

i was one of those people that transferred from advanced maths to general. However, i was wondering how well must you know the prelim work in detail in order to be able to succeed in the HSC general course and score well in the trial and HSC exams?

Is all prelim work tested just as much as the HSC content or is just purely the HSC course content? :)

Arianfan

HSC
From my understanding, preliminary content in general maths is only assumed knowledge in the hsc, just like any other course. I have noticed that preliminary content does sometimes make its way into hsc questions as certain parts of hsc general maths is pretty much an extension on preliminary content with a few new concepts here and there. So in short, prelim content makes up part of the hsc content, and the hsc content is what you will be tested on in the hsc.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
30% of preliminary material can be tested in the HSC.
The driving focus study(prelim) was tested when I did the exam back in 2014 so I would recommend that you take a look at the theory side of the focus studies.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
30% of preliminary material can be tested in the HSC.
The driving focus study(prelim) was tested when I did the exam back in 2014 so I would recommend that you take a look at the theory side of the focus studies.
To add onto BLIT's response, 30% of preliminary material in MATHEMATICAL courses can be tested in the HSC exam. Preliminary content in other subjects, although it may be useful, cannot be directly assessed in the HSC exams.

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
Everything in the preliminary course can be examined in the HSC course, and it IS examined every year. Quite a few of the questions in the HSC exam come from the prelim course. 100% ignore anyone who tells you otherwise, or tells you to only study certain topics. You need to know every topic in the prelim course if you want to do well.

Proof: Check this great guide: http://www.pasthsc.com.au//HSC_Maths_General_files/GenMathsPastHSCBreakdown.pdf
It has mapped hsc papers 2010 to 2014 to the syllabus.

You can check the syllabus for yourself over at: http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...ge-6-mathematics/mathematics-general-syllabus

But, as an example, FM1, FM2 and FM3 are all part of the prelim course. And look how many questions have been asked. Similarly for DS1, DS2 and DS3, and so on and so forth. (as a very very basic rule of thumb, Syllabus Ref #'s that end with 1, 2 or 3 are prelim, and 4/5/6 are hsc)

Note: I've linked to the old syllabus, because there have been no hsc exams for the new syllabus. I see no reason why this would change though, so the point I've made in this post still stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)