Prelims hard? (1 Viewer)

ColdMint123

HSC
I go to a school ranked 150ish and ive realized that the prelims so far have been very hard. This is based off the 2019 past paper i did as practise from a whole range of schools. The past papers weren't that difficult compared to the exams my school gave me. I know that the pressure of the acutal exams may have made it seem harder? Im not sure. Does anyone know why schools would do that?

SplashJuice

HSC
Simply put, exam pressure, the comfort of your home makes things much easier rather than a silent hall.

DrduskReborn

HSC
I go to a school ranked 150ish and ive realized that the prelims so far have been very hard. This is based off the 2019 past paper i did as practise from a whole range of schools. The past papers weren't that difficult compared to the exams my school gave me. I know that the pressure of the acutal exams may have made it seem harder? Im not sure. Does anyone know why schools would do that?
Well I felt that way for some subjects as well.

Take English for example. I always felt our papers were ridiculously harshly marked because I would compare the HSC sample answers to ours and it seemed we were on par with them. I turned out to be right because I got like a 60 in our trial and a mid band 5 in the HSC.

You really gotta look from an unbiased point of view which can be difficult but not when you’ve done enough past papers which can help you to realise the level your school papers are at.

idkkdi

HSC
Well I felt that way for some subjects as well.

Take English for example. I always felt our papers were ridiculously harshly marked because I would compare the HSC sample answers to ours and it seemed we were on par with them. I turned out to be right because I got like a 60 in our trial and a mid band 5 in the HSC.

You really gotta look from an unbiased point of view which can be difficult but not when you’ve done enough past papers which can help you to realise the level your school papers are at.
Nah, that 60 ---> mid band 5 is moreso the aftereffect of alignment. But certainly, even when considering alignment, it is likely that your school did mark a bit harshly.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, that 60 ---> mid band 5 is moreso the aftereffect of alignment. But certainly, even when considering alignment, it is likely that your school did mark a bit harshly.
Yeah I thought of this. I factored in alignment as well. My RAW mark for the HSC exam would've been something like high 70's compared to my 60 in the trial. That is a massive gap. I also used the exact same essays and they adapted well to the HSC exam questions just as they did with my trial. I remember that distinctly, so really any external factor would be negated. I did standard English not advanced.

Last edited:

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same boat, I had a Chemistry exam yesterday. The past papers we had done from my school from 2018 and 2019 were respectively a joke and significantly easier than that of the paper I had to do. In fact the paper I did was probably twice or 3 times as hard as the past papers we had done.

Of course, pressure of exams may make it seem harder but it all really boils down to what's on the paper. Maybe it was hard because there were particular things you didn't study hard enough etc. although in your defence it is reasonably hard to predict what actual tests will have based on past papers unless there is a common trend within all past papers (e.g. galvanic cells for chem past papers).

That being said perhaps its a good thing that they are harder even if students don't perform well because it gives everyone a taste of how hard trials are probably going to be. It may also be treated as a feedback thing for teachers as to which specific areas they need to teach more carefully or reinforce constantly to future senior students (but i doubt that last point is actually the case)

_rakelt

HSC
I found that prelims and hsc trials were hard and tbh, I never did well (marks ranging from 60- low 80's) and perhaps are not a great indication of your hsc marks/atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)