legal studies
economics
modern history
english advanced
mathematics standard 2
studies of religion 2

MAAB1002

HSC
I am also going to Year 11 next year, what should I be doing to prepare.
My subjects are:
Math adv
Eng adv
Chemistry
Physics
Business studies
PDHPE

I am also moving to a fully selective high school next year, Is there anything I need to prepared for. what should I be doing to make sure that I dont fall behind.
Thank you

yanujw

HSC
I know that a lot of maths standard is Year 10 maths, so just revise what you have learnt this year. See if you can get the textbooks for legal and eco so that you can get a headstart on them as well.

aandablitzer

HSC
For English it pays to read at least some of you prescribed texts in the summer holidays. For most other essay subjects (eco, legal etc) the content is reasonably straightforward and you should be able to learn the prelim content fine at school. The differentiator for these subjects is memorising stats/doing revision come exam time. Also remember to do plenty of spaced retrieval practice across the term. The first bit of maths in yr 11 is usually mostly revision so its pre chill for the first few weeks at least, so I wouldn;t get too stressed about prepping for it.

Saint Dev

HSC
For English it pays to read at least some of you prescribed texts in the summer holidays. For most other essay subjects (eco, legal etc) the content is reasonably straightforward and you should be able to learn the prelim content fine at school. The differentiator for these subjects is memorising stats/doing revision come exam time.
Exactly this for Economics and Modern History (from my experience). The early content for Economics is quite easy (comparatively) but you'll find that most people will not be able to express their ideas quickly or concisely enough in the allocated time. English Advanced can honestly get shafted, I'd place it up there as one of the most consuming subjects in terms of time and effort. Don't crap yourselves for the initial year 11 mathematics, both Advanced and Extension 1, there isn't really any need to look far ahead. However, make sure you get perms and combs, and if this year's Ext. 1 is anything to go by, learn Binomial Expansion Proofs and those aforementioned topics well!!

Overall, don't stress too much about prepping. The courses are designed with your anxiety in mind and start off easier, as you'd expect. Make sure you can find a balance between your cocirrcular and academic commitments, the preliminary year is a good time to work this out if you make the effort to properly apply yourself. This will help you once the pressure builds with multiple assessments, however, this year you can afford to make mistakes and experiment with preparation with relatively few consequences.

aandablitzer

HSC
Make sure you can find a balance between your cocirrcular and academic commitments, the preliminary year is a good time to work this out if you make the effort to properly apply yourself.
yeah definitely, at my school at least yr 11was the best year for co-curriculars, make sure you get involved in them as much as you can. It's more important that you develop broader understandings of things through stuff like robotics and debating clubs as opposed to just studying in year 11. Remember that yr 11 marks are meaningless, only yr 12 counts.

Saint Dev

HSC
yeah definitely, at my school at least yr 11was the best year for co-curriculars, make sure you get involved in them as much as you can. It's more important that you develop broader understandings of things through stuff like robotics and debating clubs as opposed to just studying in year 11. Remember that yr 11 marks are meaningless, only yr 12 counts.
Adding to this, if you arent engaging with co-curricular in Year 11, I can guarantee that you won't feel inclined to start this in Year 12. However, if you can establish this as a habit in your Preliminary year, it will serve you for Year 12. It's fairly generic school advice, but it really is important to have a balance , especially when yearly exams come around or something doesn't go your way, which will inevitably happen.

cooljames044

HSC
I think all you can do is wait. I too am going into Y11 this year, not really looking forward to it, since stuff might get real this year. But eh, only time will tell. That might be a bad mindset for it i take it back LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)