Primary Teaching @ ACU (1 Viewer)

mishka

HSC
N/A
Hey All,

I noticed there were a couple of you studying education at ACU, and was wondering if you could tell me about the uni, normal stuff, or whatever. I'm thinking about doing Primary Teaching at ACU and have heard it is very good, but I want some references from REAL students!!!!

Any advice, comments, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

mishka

HSC
N/A
Ok, well I'll put out a challenge... if you have friends who do primary teaching @ ACU, can you please get their opinions and pass them on!! I'm really confused as to which uni I'm gonna choose, so I need as much info as I can get!!

Ta!

mishka

HSC
N/A
i've heard it's a really good uni for teaching and i'm thinking about putting it down as my 1st preference!!

Steph9

HSC
mishka said:
i've heard it's a really good uni for teaching and i'm thinking about putting it down as my 1st preference!!
I've heard it's a good uni too, however have you considered what other uni's u could go to, I mean what if you can't get in? I think there are plenty of good unis out there, it's just a matter of knowing which one you're comfortable with. And why uni, do you know any other options?

mishka

HSC
N/A
...which is why i'm asking for uni students' opinions!!! :) my closest uni that offers primary teaching is UWS Bankstown, and the UAI was actually higher last year than ACU. I just think the smaller class sizes would suit me better and I wanted a bit of feedback.

I've asked TAFE and come out with no answers - they only cater for early childhood.

liz

HSC
Hey I do B Education (Early childhood) at UWS bankstown. We do some subjects with the students from the primrary education course as we are qualified to teach to up to year 2 of primary school. All the people i have talked to say they like the course. UWS is a nice place to study education at. Classes are small and people and teachers are pretty friendly.

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah i think bankstown will be my second preference. i think i'm going to do the RET test so that will help if i don't get the UAI for ACU. are you in your first year?? what are the facilities like there??

liz

HSC
No I got my second preference. My first preference was primrary ed but now after starting my course I'm happy I didn't get my first preference as I only ever really wanted to teach the younger grades of primrary school. Oh your lucky you live in the area and can do RET as I was not eligable for that.
In both degrees you do practicals right throughout your cousre starting in first year. While you are not allowed to nominate where you do your prac they try to get your practicals not to far from an area you nominate. I find all my practicals really fun.
Facilities at bankstown campus as far as societies and clubs go are not really in existance, and for food their is only one hot food store.
Facilities as far as teaching for our course goes are fantastic. And lecturers teach really well and make the course interesting.

mishka

HSC
N/A
cool, thanks for the insight!!! it's a shame they hold the open day for UWS at penrith (? - I think!!) cos i really want to see what Bankstown is like on the inside!!!

mishka

HSC
N/A
hahahaha we're talking about UWS in the ACU forum.... how funny!!

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
mishka said:
Hey All,

I noticed there were a couple of you studying education at ACU, and was wondering if you could tell me about the uni, normal stuff, or whatever. I'm thinking about doing Primary Teaching at ACU and have heard it is very good, but I want some references from REAL students!!!!

Any advice, comments, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
I haven't been here for ages so I just notices your email.
ACU was always my first choice for education cause you are qualified to teach in both the private and public systems, and I want to teach in Catholic schools.
In your first year, you practically are placed in a school by about week 4 or five for one day a week so that you can get the feel of what the environment in like and eventually you prograss from teaching a small group to teaching the whole class over the semester, which leads to a block prac in the winter holidays. The good thing about ACU is that the semester starts early feb, and the other unis dont start until march so if you have done your morning a weeks and find that it isn't for you then you can drop out before the HECs are due!. :rolleyes:
I'm now at the end of my second year and loving it. The staff are friendly (well most of them, like all places there are the nice ones and there there are the ones from hell) and the campus is small.
I'll try to come on more often to see if you still need anything...
Hope this helps.

mishka

HSC
N/A
thanks for that!! it's nice to get an insight from a real student!! i was put off by sydney's "reputation" and size. did you know that they have 2240 undergraduate EDUCATION students enrolling every year?? that's as many students at ACU from ALL courses!!!

i'm coming to the open day on saturday and i can't wait to look around... from the pics it looks really nice, i hope it isn't raining!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)