akkjen

HSC
N/A
answer is c
why dont i have to multiply by 4 since it can happen in 4 differ ways
ausd.png

quickoats

HSC
In total, there are 8 shoes the runner can choose from. The number of ways they can “choose” 2 shoes at random is 8C2=28, and out of those, there are 4 ways to choose a correct pair.

Jig

HSC
If you choose any pair of shoes with no restriction, the chance of you getting it is 8/8. Now you have a restriction, the next shoe has to match the colour of that first shoe, which is only a 1/7 chance. Therefore (8/8) * (1/7) is just 1/7. This is the more 2u way of doing it.

akkjen

HSC
N/A
If you choose any pair of shoes with no restriction, the chance of you getting it is 8/8. Now you have a restriction, the next shoe has to match the colour of that first shoe, which is only a 1/7 chance. Therefore (8/8) * (1/7) is just 1/7. This is the more 2u way of doing it.
since there are 4 pairs isnt there 4 ways we can do it so dont we have to times by 4 or am i trippin

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
since there are 4 pairs isnt there 4 ways we can do it so dont we have to times by 4 or am i trippin
You be trippin'

The 4 ways you can do it are already included in the 8/8. But I know what you're trying to do so let me provide an answer that more closely aligns with your thinking style.

Pretend that the 4 pairs are called A, B, C and D. Let's find the probability of matching "A" pair.

First shoe is A = 2/8
Second shoe is A = 1/7
So probability of AA = 2/8 * 1/7 = 1/28

But that's "AA" in particular. Why not "BB", "CC" or "DD"? So now we can multiply by 4 as you suggest.

1/28 * 4 = 1/7

*dabs*

akkjen

HSC
N/A
You be trippin'

The 4 ways you can do it are already included in the 8/8. But I know what you're trying to do so let me provide an answer that more closely aligns with your thinking style.

Pretend that the 4 pairs are called A, B, C and D. Let's find the probability of matching "A" pair.

First shoe is A = 2/8
Second shoe is A = 1/7
So probability of AA = 2/8 * 1/7 = 1/28

But that's "AA" in particular. Why not "BB", "CC" or "DD"? So now we can multiply by 4 as you suggest.

1/28 * 4 = 1/7

*dabs*
lol, ohhhhhhhhhhhh it makes sense! thanks heaps!
*dabs back*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)