Probability (1 Viewer)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
A test is scheduled with 7 exams. 2 of the exams are math and 1 of the exams is English. Math exams can be scheduled consecutively.
i) how many ways can be scheduled?
ii) If english is first find prob that math is second and then other math exam is last.

Ty.

braintic

HSC
N/A
(i) just order the exams in 7! ways

I am assuming that the two mathS exams are considered to be 2 different exams, and not part I and part II of the same exam. In the latter case it would be 7!/2

(ii) after english, there are 6! ways of arranging the other exams. There are 2 times 4! ways of arranging them so that mathS occupies those two slots (2 ways of arranging the mathS exams in those slots, 4! ways of arranging the other exams).

So (2 times 4!) / (6!) = 1/15

braintic

HSC
N/A
Part ii) is a permutation without repettion
Hmmm, not sure how to interpret this. Permutations by their very nature don't allow for repetition. Otherwise we would be using powers.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
(i) just order the exams in 7! ways

I am assuming that the two mathS exams are considered to be 2 different exams, and not part I and part II of the same exam. In the latter case it would be 7!/2

(ii) after english, there are 6! ways of arranging the other exams. There are 2 times 4! ways of arranging them so that mathS occupies those two slots (2 ways of arranging the mathS exams in those slots, 4! ways of arranging the other exams).

So (2 times 4!) / (6!) = 1/15
It says something else in answers though. well I got the same answer as u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)