Problems With Marking (1 Viewer)

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
There have been many reported cases of students, in their comparisons, being unable to understand the system to which their marks were calculated.

There have been court cases charged against the Board of Studies already. The 'Clerical Recheck', and the vast amount of cases where the UAI and HSC marks have been either greatly increased or decreased has proved to the 65,000 students of NSW that the HSC marking system is inconsistent and too varied. The unjust system of the HSC should be changed to prevent these inconsistencies that can affect the future of so many students.

Why is it that one subject can be 'rechecked', and the result will be so greatly changed? Obviously, the system of marking is unjust.

Were you one of the 3000 students this year in that 'unjustly marked' category? Pretty fucked hey...

Best of luck for the future - happy 2004

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
system fucked i sent for recheak of chemistry, hopefully they are wrong

Winston

HSC
Lets take into account a few things:

-Poorly structured Arguments in responses, harder for teachers to mark sometimes, i know mine got pissed in scool LOL!
-Bad hand writing
-How light the writing is, my teacher suggested to use a felt tip or a dark color blue or black pen
-Teachers have to make a feww hundred papers very fast in harsh stuffy conditions
-Besides the question gets marked around 3 times, two times by two different teachers, and once by the senior marker
- HSC system isn't too inconsistent, it's very fair, especially how they obtain your internal assessment marks, but people just don't understand the system

and i'm not about the clerical recheck, but human errors in life to occur, nothings 100% perfect.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Winston

-Besides the question gets marked around 3 times, two times by two different teachers, and once by the senior marker
- HSC system isn't too inconsistent, it's very fair, especially how they obtain your internal assessment marks, but people just don't understand the system

and i'm not about the clerical recheck, but human errors in life to occur, nothings 100% perfect.
What you have said is not entirely correct. Every question gets marked by two teachers, however it is the average of these two marks that is the final mark for the question, and unless the difference is more than 6, the question isn't remarked (this is for extended response questions out of 20...I'm not sure about others...). The senior marker then takes a sample of the papers marked and marks those papers themselves to ensure that there isn't any extremely harsh or extremely easy marking occurring.

Addressing your second point, I agree that the HSC system on the whole is very fair, however I think the marking system leaves a lot to be desired. A senior marker for Business Studies that I know was doing discrepancy marking this year, and she was being given business reports that one marker had given an 18 for and another given 4. That is a difference of 14 marks!!! There is no way you can call that fair... But unless the difference is more than 6, which fortunately in this case it was, then nobody else hears about it e.g. a boy receives 18 (deservedly) for an extended response from one marker, but then is given a 12 (undeservedly) by another marker. He ends up getting 15 for the extended response when he really should have got 18, which is 3 marks difference and can very easily be the difference between a band 5 and a band 6. I think you will find that what Rayanz is referring to is this marking...

Also, human errors do happen, and there is no way of eliminating that, but the current system relies too much on human subjectivity. Now obviously you need to have people marking papers, but there is too much room for error. The system needs to be changed to something along the lines of having each paper marked three times and reducing the discrepany to a significantly smaller amount. That would definitely reduce the occurrence of human error and also make the system more fair for all students.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Make the HSC entirely multiple choice based :)

Woohooo 3 hours of multiple choice.......

But I agree, the method of marking is currently quite flawed, however I understand that improving it isn't as easy as it sounds, so I am certainly not one to complain. I think the system is as fair as it can get state-wise. But there's always room for improvement.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think Rayanz is just sour with his HSC marks.

And where did this 3000 figure come from? The chances of a mistake having been made in the adding up of marks are slim to none.

You also don't seem to understand the concept of clerical reacheck. They add up marks again. No remarking is done.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Although there are always going to be mistakes made and people are going to feel ripped off (I know the feeling believe me) I don't think they could really improve the system that much.... what could they do? Take more time marking the papers??? You wouldn't get your results until March the next year if they did!!!!

MilfordSound

Senior markers only mark when there is a big discrepancy between the two techers marks
say if an essay got 18 and 20, a 19 would be given
but if it was given a 6 and a 17 then the senior marker would take a look at it
and im sick of people thinking the HSC is the end of the world, so what if you lost 2 marks in an essay, it shouldnt stop you from getting into a course, and if it did, get over it

holl

The markers have a big training session before. They photocopy some random essays and give them out to all the markers, if a marker does not mark the paper the same as the others (give or take a few marks) they have to be retrained. Thats what i heard, and it sounds like a fair system. There will always be mistakes, but on the whole, it works!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh they cant just pull out random ppl
most markers r lecturers, teachers or ex teachers so they should know their stuff anyway if they have been teaching it

is a roflcopter
HSC
they could just be having a bad day
and decide to fuck people over

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
they could just be having a bad day
and decide to fuck people over
swear jar Newbie

holl

Originally posted by cro_angel
yeh they cant just pull out random ppl
most markers r lecturers, teachers or ex teachers so they should know their stuff anyway if they have been teaching it
MOST??
ALL markers are teaches etc. They have to apply to be a marker too so yeah, they dont just get anyone to mark the hsc.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
harsh stuffy conditions?

hah. teachers get paid $50+/hour to do this, don't feel too sorry for them.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
harsh stuffy conditions?

hah. teachers get paid $50+/hour to do this, don't feel too sorry for them.
dont forget the extra $20 they get each night for dinner:chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)