Progress on Major Works (1 Viewer)

Clarebare

HSC
hey, just wondering how people are going now that they've had some time to research and start drafting. Any one having issues with their work or finding some gaps in their research?

Trying to wake this sleepy forum up, so any responses are welcome. Mention what your topic is too, cause we can't have heard from everyone!

My working title is "What're you rebelling against?: An investigation into the presence of the Existential Anti-Hero in 1950s films." I'm analysing The Wild One and Rebel Without A Cause.

My problems have mainly been narrowing down the question and trying to get all of the film analysis done. Also, I've had to wrap my head around Existentialism (I'm just glad that I didn't choose anything related to po-mo - ext 1 is enough!!)

J

jpunshon

Hi, unfortunately I have immersed myself in "po-mo"

The title of my work is "Post Modern Propaganda - Japanese Animation" exploring the conventions of anime and how they have been used (in manga during the war, and even before that in woodprints) for Anti American propaganda. By considering the scope of time and the nature in which the propaganda has been presented, I will attempt to provide reasoning for its existance in modern times (Yes, I have a reason, but it is still developing)

Your work sounds very interesting, actually reminds me a bit of Ext 1 (I am doing crime fiction, as such discussing the "hard boiled" genre, fighting corrupt society and the like)

The only "gaps" in my research are those relating to postmodernism, because I have chosen distinguish anime as the post modern expression of modernist ideas, making a very definate distinction between the two very similar literary theories.

Last edited by a moderator:

j-mo

HSC
Mine is Poetry after Auschwitz : Postmodern Representations of the Holocaust.
It looks at whether pomo representations of the Holocaust in any way trivialise it, and whether or not pomo thinking is what has led to Holocaust denial.

I actually haven't started writing yet - the big killer is research. I get so involved and interested that I spend hours on it, and sometimes it reaches the point of irrelevancy. I also have to be careful not to concentrate too much on historical arguments... bah.

Hoping to get a working draft done by the end of the holidays.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
j-mo said:
Mine is Poetry after Auschwitz : Postmodern Representations of the Holocaust.
It looks at whether pomo representations of the Holocaust in any way trivialise it, and whether or not pomo thinking is what has led to Holocaust denial.

I actually haven't started writing yet - the big killer is research. I get so involved and interested that I spend hours on it, and sometimes it reaches the point of irrelevancy. I also have to be careful not to concentrate too much on historical arguments... bah.

Hoping to get a working draft done by the end of the holidays.
Considering the specificity of a critical response, it may make your research easier if you decide very specifically what section you are analysing. This is because you don't want to get bogged down in irrelevant reading to the point where you know sooo many general facts and ideas about this topic that its impossible to coherently string them together, or exclude them. For example, what part[/] of post modern thinking/representation is your main focus? Or perhaps a specific part of the Holocaust you think is worthy of analysis? And then lead from there.

jpunshon said:
The only "gaps" in my research are those relating to postmodernism, because I have chosen distinguish anime as the post modern expression of modernist ideas, making a very definate distinction between the two very similar literary theories.
Perhaps if you look at where/why one originated as opposed to the other then separation may be clearer? Btw, sounds like a pretty cool idea.:)

J

jpunshon

Perhaps if you look at where/why one originated as opposed to the other then separation may be clearer? Btw, sounds like a pretty cool idea.:)
Good idea, I will have to do that. Thanks for saying it is a "pretty cool idea", I need some confidence in it.

Porcia

HSC
progress eh! well at the moment i stand at 2000 words so thats just before 50% done... by the end of the holidays i hope to have upped it to 4500 words

nahian

HSC
HI
is anyone up to their second drafts???
I am and I'm finding it extremely difficult to 're-draft' it

Porcia

HSC
maybe your work is already good... haha well to redraft it give it to many people - give them a red pen too - and then when u collect all of them look for any recurring red marks at a certain spot and fix that

darcho

HSC
N/A
I haven't started my major work yet. Still looking for something to write about, havent come up with any ideas yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)