Proof inequality (1 Viewer)

D3spair

HSC
Assuming x,y,z>0, how could I further prove this statement? The expansion must be used.
B44B15BE-B4DF-426D-B07A-D83662303512.jpeg

quickoats

HSC
Have you learnt about the arithmetic/geometric mean inequality yet? It usually looks something like . This can be extended to , etc.

There's a shortcut to the question using this method:

However, since the question asks you to expand, you can collect the 'like' terms of , and , and do a similar process. You should end up with .

Hopefully you find this helpful

D3spair

HSC
Have you learnt about the arithmetic/geometric mean inequality yet? It usually looks something like . This can be extended to , etc.

There's a shortcut to the question using this method:

However, since the question asks you to expand, you can collect the 'like' terms of , and , and do a similar process. You should end up with .

Hopefully you find this helpful
yup I’ve learned am-gm etc., just needed assistance on what to do after expanding. Thanks

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You have that

We have three groups of terms, the last of which is already in the desired form, so we need to consider the other two groups.

First, the terms in the form :

Expanding gives , which is the case of the AM-GM inequality

Put and gives

Make similar substitutions with and to get , and then to get , and you have shown that:

Next, we need the case of AM-GM, :

Taking then , , and etc gives

It follows that we now have

The case of AM-GM also deals with our cubic terms:

Taking , , and gives and thus

completing the proof. Note, however, that while I have proved the case of AM-GM, I have used the case without proof, and this is not appropriate unless you are given it as a result. I recommend knowing a proof of AM-GM by heart for the cases , , and . Of these, it is the case that is difficult, IMO...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)