Proof that the examiners scab questions! (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you haven't realised already, the examiners do not make up their own questions. They scab it off certain resources and change it slightly. According to some peers, this year's question about the mass held by two strings was similar to the one in the Excel textbook. Also:
Yesterday, in the revision thread, (http://community.boredofstudies.org...hsc-revision-thread-2006-a/3.html#post2615763) I asked for some assistance with some questions in an attachment which I encountered in some past trial exams (and sadly no one helped...:(:p). They were mainly circle geometry questions.....and guess what circle geometry question appeared in today's exam!!!!! Q2 in that attachment is strikingly similar to the question in the exam!!!!
Therefore, exposing yourself to as many questions from trials, textbooks and past papers as possible may actually help more because you may encounter a very similar or even an identical question in the HSC!!!lol

Check out Q7(a) in Sydney Grammar Trial 4 unit 1993:
http://boredofstudies.org/mirror/4u/SydneyGrammar1993.pdf
OR
Here's the attachment:

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ianc said:
well there's only so many things they can ask you...
I disagree with that. Given that the syllabus (particularly Harder 3 Unit) is so open ended for "component B" questions and the fact that you can be asked ANY question (regardless of whether the application or concept involved is something we learnt or are familiar with) that can be solved using current 3/4 unit knowledge, there is a plethora of questions that can exist and be made up.

H

housemouse

lol, i would say this year they mixed the easy and hard questions around in the 2nd half of the exam

NightShadow

HSC
well I think its a good thing.. - it clearly shows they're looking at the stuff schools produce and getting inspired by these techniques and questions and helped them formulate questions with new directions.

if on the other hand..they had some random monkey writing these questions from scratch - simply anything could pop up in the exam - and everyone would be like..HUH... what the hell is THAT?

Mill

HSC
Trebla said:
If you haven't realised already, the examiners do not make up their own questions. They scab it off certain resources and change it slightly. According to some peers, this year's question about the mass held by two strings was similar to the one in the Excel textbook. Also:
Yesterday, in the revision thread, (http://community.boredofstudies.org...hsc-revision-thread-2006-a/3.html#post2615763) I asked for some assistance with some questions in an attachment which I encountered in some past trial exams (and sadly no one helped...:(:p). They were mainly circle geometry questions.....and guess what circle geometry question appeared in today's exam!!!!! Q2 in that attachment is strikingly similar to the question in the exam!!!!
Therefore, exposing yourself to as many questions from trials, textbooks and past papers as possible may actually help more because you may encounter a very similar or even an identical question in the HSC!!!lol

R
Here's the attachment:

You've got to be joking. You think the HSC Examiners borrowed from the Excel book? THE EXCEL BOOK? Quite possibly the worst textbook on the market? This is a question that appears in every textbook and is taught by every teacher that isn't a complete retard.

I'm not going to even bother with the rest of your post. ;d

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Actually, I've seen that circlular motion question with the two strings in a few textbooks including Cambridge. My thoughts in the motive of the examiners using this set-up would be due to the possible confusion of two tensions acting on the mass that might confuse some students.

Affinity

HSC
Trebla said:

OR
Here's the attachment:
that circle geometry question is a dumbed down version of the 9 point circle... classic result :p they didn't scab it off any particular source.
There are many other instances where the question is a special case/simplified version of some general well known result. Rather than doing many papers, time will perhaps be better spent trying to read and understand some results beyond he HSC syllabus

The mass question is standard..there's only so many questions which can be placed on the HSC exam. EDIT: seems like someone mentioned this point and seems like someone argues with this... but remember.. not every question's going to be a Q8.. there must be easy stock questions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)