Pros and Cons for tertiary education at ANU (1 Viewer)

ZeeZee3

HSC
I'm not really very serious in choosing a uni since im still in yr 10 however, along with UNSW and USYD, I have been wondering if I should add ANU to one of my options. I dont really know a particular course i want to do yet however i would like to do something business and mathematic related. Please give some advantages and disadvantages for ANU to help me make the right choice as to what I am going to be doing after HSC. Thanks!

SoAmazing

HSC
I cant speak of the quality of business subjects, but the science and mathematics department at ANU is excellent. The majority of your mathematics professors will be leading researchers in their field and the range of subjects is great and caters to varying levels of abilities. Having only studied at ANU and Melbourne uni i would have to say the mathematics department at ANU has the advantage in terms of quality of teaching. I think ANU is an exceptional uni. The one major drawback is its location in canberra, which if you come from sydney, is quite lacking in awesomeness lol. I surely missed Melbourne very much during my studies at ANU.

alexwareham2

HSC
Whilst UNSW and USYD have the prestige and all that, ANU is often overlooked for the prestige that it has. I was rather disappointed when I realised that I couldn't get in and whatever but ANU is actually the best Uni in Australia, as it is ranked in the Top 20 in the world, and this if you plan to work overseas your degree would have more weighting. Another pro is obviously the lower ATAR entrance than UNSW and USYD so it is the perfect option if you don't get into what you want, plus if you fail miserably like me then you get 5 Bonus Points for English and Maths and getting over 60%.

The only cons are that the location sucks, making it harder to get a job whilst at Uni in an amazing firm, although you do get the same Summer Interships options, so you can work for JP Morgan and Chase, or the Big 4 in Accounting in the Summer, but you would probably be unable to get a Cadetship.

So I would say ANU is way better than Macquarie or UTS, and is probably your best option if you fail miserably, as well as the best option if you plan to work in the US/Europe as it would be considered at the level of their Best 10 Uni's (US) or Best 5 (Britain). It is even better than UNSW/USYD as USYD is dropping every year and is sure to be in the 50's soon, and I believe UNSW is only just outside the Top 50.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Con: It's in the middle of nowhere.

And no one say "It's got a great World Ranking" when they say why people should go there. Because 'World Rankings' are irrelevant to undergraduate study.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Con: Move away from friends and family in Sydney and make new friends in Canberra.

Pro: Reputable academic institution but then again so is USYD/UNSW

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Pro/Con: ANU Science has an interesting acronym

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)