Protein Powder (1 Viewer)

lgaica

HSC
hi, ive started going to the gym since january, and i think its time i should buy some protein powder, to keep up my protein levels. i have a slim build and want to get a little bigger and gain some weight as well (6'' and 72kg)

does anyone have any reccomendations for me? i also want to make sure that the stuff is tasty enough to have on a regular basis, maybe 2 drinks a day

thanks

NinjaSauce

HSC
The best source of protein (and calories, etc) is food.

Protein shakes WITH CARBOHYDRATES (which are more important than the protien) is good after decent exercise to replenish yourself and reverse catabolism.

'Tasty' is also very subjective. Just find a brand you can swallow, or if lucky, enjoy. If you get a plain protein powder with no flavour, such as myself, you can just take it as is, or add some sort of minor flavouring to it... cocoa or something?
Again... what is 'tasty' to you? And does it have to be good tasting anyways?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
start of with something simple.
if you are really skinny a gainer may be for you.
which is packed with protein and carbs.

but if protein is what your after a musashi 1kg would do you.

I use horleys whey, ive been working out for about a year and have put on 9kg of pure muscle.

so protein works!

bassistx

HSC
WTF is wrong with food?
Grind it if you want powder.

I don't get you people.

If you workout like you're meant to, you're gonna be starving. If you have a drink, I doubt it'd do anything more than make you pee (as in it won't satisfy your appetite).
Oh, and the body takes what protein it needs, the rest is discarded (urine). So basically, your body is gonna take what it needs and piss out the rest.

:)

bassistx

HSC
lgaica said:
its just i dont have much time to make myself meals, and basically its for convenience, cause im constantly running out of chicken and tuna, i just need an easy meal replacement
You'll still be hungry.
You need to eat lol :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
for value for money you can't go past proteindirect.com.au
i always buy my protein from there, haven't had any problems
you have to realise most (like 95%) of the products out there are expensive marketing gimmicks but at the end of the day what you want is protein full stop.

so yes eat plenty of proteinaceous foods if you can, but if you need to supplement or don't have enough time, go for generic powders and add in your own flavours to your own liking and it won't break your bank.

Pace_T

HSC
bassistx said:
WTF is wrong with food?
Grind it if you want powder.

I don't get you people.

If you workout like you're meant to, you're gonna be starving. If you have a drink, I doubt it'd do anything more than make you pee (as in it won't satisfy your appetite).
Oh, and the body takes what protein it needs, the rest is discarded (urine). So basically, your body is gonna take what it needs and piss out the rest.

:)
you are a fuckwit. even if that was an attempt at being funny it has only shown how stupidly unfunny you are. fuck off.

dude, at you're weight stick to a bulk protein (with carbs). dont get the idea in your head that you should make a meal out of it to replace proper food. it should be something extra. avoid that imported chinese shit. its a waste of money, go with something like musashi, but imo the best and great value is ON 100%, you WILL get results in one month if u use it properly.

adgala

HSC
Pace_T said:
dude, at you're weight stick to a bulk protein (with carbs).
alternatively, increase your calorie intake.

Pace_T said:
go with something like musashi, but imo the best and great value is ON 100%, you WILL get results in one month if u use it properly.
I've tried Musashi P30 and Mass Monster, flavour wise they're so-so. Mixes quite well with milk or water. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (what i'm currently using) tastes great and mixes very well but it contains a very small amound of carbs. I'd say it's more of a protein supplement rather than a mass gainer.

7th Sign

HSC
well first you have to work out which protein you want to buy,

I would not buy crap like GNC or aussie brands, I import mine from the USA.

best way to take protein is in the morning, start after a work out and then before you go to sleep, 2-3 scoops is the desired amount.

Also incorporate foods like red meats, tuna, cheese, eggs ect ect into your diet.

getting bigger and gaining weight takes time but hang in their.

lgaica

HSC
oh sweet! cause just yesterday i purchased optimum nutrition 100% whey on ebay, i got vanilla cause i figured it would mix well with other stuff, eg spriknle on cereal etc

lets see how it goes

lgaica

HSC
if i wanted to make it a mass gainer could i just possibly add oats and a banana for carbs?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i know most ppl will probably disagree with me, but if you're buying a branded product you're probably getting ripped off- that includes ON 100% Whey-

I make my own mass gainer by buying WPI powder and adding half a cup of oatmeal, 4 tablespoons of dextrose/maltodextrin blend, one banana, blend it all up and there you go- a mass gainer that doesn't taste at all bad!

Why pay premium for a mass gainer when all it is is basically protein powder watered down with carbs for the calories and extra flavours? Plus it costs more than simple good 'ole pure protein powder, so you'd have to be "puffin muffins" to buy a mass gainer.

Other reasons why I add the sugar is for flavour, to increase my calories and help insulin mediated protein uptake by muscles post-workout.

Pace_T

HSC
adgala said:
I've tried Musashi P30 and Mass Monster, flavour wise they're so-so. Mixes quite well with milk or water. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (what i'm currently using) tastes great and mixes very well but it contains a very small amound of carbs. I'd say it's more of a protein supplement rather than a mass gainer.

the ON100% WPI mixes well. but adgala, theres also the bulk protein made by ON which includes carbs (called 'serious mass' or some shit) and takes a bit more effort to mix. both taste REALLY nice.

inasero said:
i know most ppl will probably disagree with me, but if you're buying a branded product you're probably getting ripped off- that includes ON 100% Whey-

I make my own mass gainer by buying WPI powder and adding half a cup of oatmeal, 4 tablespoons of dextrose/maltodextrin blend, one banana, blend it all up and there you go- a mass gainer that doesn't taste at all bad!

Why pay premium for a mass gainer when all it is is basically protein powder watered down with carbs for the calories and extra flavours? Plus it costs more than simple good 'ole pure protein powder, so you'd have to be "puffin muffins" to buy a mass gainer.

Other reasons why I add the sugar is for flavour, to increase my calories and help insulin mediated protein uptake by muscles post-workout.
ON100% which is from the states is like half the price of many others, including aussie brands like musashi. i use to get ON100% WPI 2.5kg for around $80 which is pretty cheap. for $10 more this time round i got 5.5kg of serious mass, which has about the same amount of protein as the WPI with the rest being carbs. so i dont really see how im puffin muffins here. servings are twice as much for bulk protein, so it wouldnt last any longer than the WPI counterpart. however, i do agree that almost all of the bulk supplements on the market are a massive ripoff and easily replaceable. my local vitamin store always has ON brand products discounted heavily. if you cant get bulk protein cheap, go for WPI and use oats as your carbs.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
are you saying that you got 2.5kg of a mass gainer for $90? If so, that's pretty cheap but I really highly doubt your claim that it has the same amount of protein as a WPI- I bought 3kg of pretty much the purest WPI you can buy (90g in 100g) for around $100. Mass gainers are typically only 30-40g protein/100g with the rest made up of cheap carbs, so if you do your math you can see which one is cheaper- plus the WPIs have more essential amino acids and BCAAs which are what you REALLY want in a protein powder- if you want to bulk you can add oatmeal, dextrose, and generally eat more

Pace_T

HSC
inasero said:
are you saying that you got 2.5kg of a mass gainer for $90? If so, that's pretty cheap but I really highly doubt your claim that it has the same amount of protein as a WPI- I bought 3kg of pretty much the purest WPI you can buy (90g in 100g) for around $100. Mass gainers are typically only 30-40g protein/100g with the rest made up of cheap carbs, so if you do your math you can see which one is cheaper- plus the WPIs have more essential amino acids and BCAAs which are what you REALLY want in a protein powder- if you want to bulk you can add oatmeal, dextrose, and generally eat more

90g in 100g is pretty damn good. i remember the ON wpi was like 30g in 40, lol..

shannonm

HSC
N/A
quik. said:
I use venom protein powder. 4kg for 80 or 90 dollars. It's unflavoured, so you can either man up or throw it in a blender with stuff, add some nesquik, whatever floats your boat.

http://www.venomprotein.com/catalog/index.php
I gotta back this up.
I found this a while back through ebay and kept with it through their website.
As quik says, it's unflavoured and rather 'lumpy'. I mix it with milo and stir it with a spoon (blender is fine but mine is way too loud so I don't use it). Once it settles out (like 2 mins) it's fine.

Haven't found better stuff than this so I'm still with it (sorry to make it sound like a sales pitch. I'm sure there is better and flavoured stuff out there but for the price this is tops imo)

bjornzzz

HSC
Good stuff on the ON 100%, i'm using that too, taste great.. haven tried the vanilla though, and i'm gonna try that after my chocolate one.. Add bananas and peanut butters if you want good carbs..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)