Psychiatry... (2 Viewers)

FinalFantasy

HSC
What course is it called to be a psychiatrist?
I can't find anything under "Psychiatry"

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
B Psychology
B Arts (Psychology)
B Science (Psychology)

Professional recognition requires 4 years of full time study, which is achieved through either the BPsyc, or through an honours year in the other two options.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
psychiatrists actually have to study medicine first and then do post graduate in psychiatry. id do psychology cause the only difference is you cant prescriber and you arent a doctor but psychologists work more in cognitive skills which i think are more helpful than just prescribing things

Blackalicious

HSC
Dont you have to do a medicine to be a psychiatrist?
if you want to be a psychologist then do the above mentioned courses. In order to practise professionally, postgraduate training is required, and this is provided in many Australian universities either as a higher degree (MA, MSc, MClinPsyc or PhD) or as a Graduate Diploma.

FinalFantasy

HSC
damn... Medicine again.... so which one is better? in terms of making money.. psychologist or psychiatrist?

Blackalicious

HSC
is money the only reason you want to be a psychiatrist? b.c your better off with something like business.
psychiatry is more demanding, it takes longer to qualify and the course is academically rigorous. If you became a psychologist and set up your own practice you'd be able to make more money. Plus while entry into honours for psych is competitive it pays off. You will never be short of clients the world is full of nutters :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Why waste time doing something you don't like? May as well do a Commerce degree if you want quick and easy $$, as someone said, Medicine takes forever, and you have to be committed to it

doe

HSC
N/A
if you think about that statement for 10 seconds you would realise what utter crap it is

FinalFantasy

HSC
hahaha, i better not talk n e more :p im just bored here lol..
but btw.. just out of interest, what can u do, not through uni.. that can make lots of money?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lukebennett said:
psychiatrists actually have to study medicine first and then do post graduate in psychiatry. id do psychology cause the only difference is you cant prescriber and you arent a doctor but psychologists work more in cognitive skills which i think are more helpful than just prescribing things
psychiatry
first u do an MBBS/B med etc..
then u do 2 yrs post grad experience.. MINiMUM.. (1yr as a intern, 1 yr as a resident at a hospital)
then find an accredited hospital and u do a fellowship..which consists of exams and training.. entry to fellowships is very competitive especialli decent ones.. they take from 3-5 yrs normally
total : 13 to 15 yrs
Starting salary as a psychiatry registrar: $130K/yr (public) or $200k/yr (private)

doin psychiatry has alot of congestive.. u do alot of psychology... most students i kno who are interested in psychiatry.. do lik an arts or sci or a medsci degree honours in psychology as a side degree.. .. btw most unis MBBS and the GP fellowship course teach lots of cognitive skills... its not about the drugs anymore.. :( would hav made it easier tho..

btw according to gradlink the psychology grad only about 30% end up as pro psychologist after 1 yr... hence its a broad degree... in Med dun expect to be anything but a doctor.. 99.3% and per hour is as much as maccas first yr out

umm if u want to be rich and not study too hard.. take risks.. be ure own boss.. and consider things lik electrician, plumbing or locksmith... ppl need them.. and they are good jobs... but everyone now a days thinks u need a degree..

doe

HSC
N/A
natstar that wasnt directed at you, i think a post was deleted. they said something along the lines of a degree is the only way you can make money, which is fairly foolish thing to say.

sorry if it seemed a bit abrupt

doe

HSC
N/A
no probs. when i was reading it this morning i was "wtf did i write that for" but then i realised what had happened

^___^
HSC
doe said:
no probs. when i was reading it this morning i was "wtf did i write that for" but then i realised what had happened

eh??

so thats what happens if you dun turn up to MQ for a few wks
:p

doe

HSC
N/A
i dont follow ... ive been busy :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hahaha, i better not talk n e more :p im just bored here lol..
but btw.. just out of interest, what can u do, not through uni.. that can make lots of money?
Chuck a Warren Buffet and just invest your money.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Psychology > Psychiatry.

Psychologist: I'm actually going to understand your problem and help you through it.
Psychiatrist: Here's some lithium. If it doesn't kill you come back and see me in a week. That'll be $600 dollars.

FinalFantasy

HSC
poloktim said:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=53375 <--- If you're thinking of doing a uni course just because you want a job, then look here. It basically says you're wasting your time and money if you don't enjoy what you study. :)
but some people are capable of doing any subjects, like those ppl who get 99 UAI..
dey might not like it but they are smart enough to do it well..
hmmm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)