Purchasing UKCAT practice question books (1 Viewer)

Purchase purple/green book or dark green book or none

• Purple/green book

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dark green book

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • None

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
HSC
2021 year 12s have been asking if I want to purchase the following 2 UKCAT books, yes UKCAT not UCAT, and I'm wondering if I should purchase it or buy one that specifies 'UCAT' i.e. is there any different between the 2 such that I shouldn't use UKCAT resources?

And does anyone know if the following books are helpful or if I just shouldn't purchase them (I believe the y12 is selling it for quite cheap (either $5 or $10 idk)).
1638766516864.png1638766537136.png

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
2021 year 12s have been asking if I want to purchase the following 2 UKCAT books, yes UKCAT not UCAT, and I'm wondering if I should purchase it or buy one that specifies 'UCAT' i.e. is there any different between the 2 such that I shouldn't use UKCAT resources? And does anyone know if the following books are helpful or if I just shouldn't purchase them (I believe the y12 is selling it for quite cheap (either $5 or $10 idk)).
View attachment 34445View attachment 34446
fairly sure there's no difference between ucat and ukcat.

4321suomynona

HSC
From my understanding, there is a small difference between Ukcat and Ucat. Primarily the fact that the UKCAT questions r much more difficult compared to the UCAT questions hence why u will see that the results for these tests will have a much higher average in australia compared to the UK. I would say use the UKCAT questions and smash through them, so when you come to do ur final UCAT quesitons u will find them much easier and hence hopefully do better in the end.

HSC
From my understanding, there is a small difference between Ukcat and Ucat. Primarily the fact that the UKCAT questions r much more difficult compared to the UCAT questions hence why u will see that the results for these tests will have a much higher average in australia compared to the UK. I would say use the UKCAT questions and smash through them, so when you come to do ur final UCAT quesitons u will find them much easier and hence hopefully do better in the end.
Yeah hopefully! Thanks for the information :)

icycledough

HSC
Just as an FYI, I wouldn't recommend practicing in a workbook. This is because the UCAT is now online (ever since they scrapped the UMAT from 2019 onwards). It is very different using a monitor screen to using a workbook; you have to be used to using an on-screen calculator, which is far simpler than the fx calculators and using a mouse and monitor can be a new challenge if you aren't used to it. If you want to use the workbook to get used to the questions, that should be fine. But for your long-term practice, definitely use an online resource and a monitor/mouse, so you can replicate the actual exam as best as possible.

4321suomynona

HSC
Just as an FYI, I wouldn't recommend practicing in a workbook. This is because the UCAT is now online (ever since they scrapped the UMAT from 2019 onwards). It is very different using a monitor screen to using a workbook; you have to be used to using an on-screen calculator, which is far simpler than the fx calculators and using a mouse and monitor can be a new challenge if you aren't used to it. If you want to use the workbook to get used to the questions, that should be fine. But for your long-term practice, definitely use an online resource and a monitor/mouse, so you can replicate the actual exam as best as possible.
r u kidding me, the time u spend using the calc online in real life it doesnt matter will make the difference between a great performance in the ucat to an average performance. dont use the calc and be less reliant on it in general. Also the questions r very nitty gritting meaning they are of many decimal points so easiest is scrap paper and pen to do some rough estimates in the shortest time possible. Rememeber the biggest issue in the UCAT is the time constraint

vishnay

God
HSC
r u kidding me, the time u spend using the calc online in real life it doesnt matter will make the difference between a great performance in the ucat to an average performance. dont use the calc and be less reliant on it in general. Also the questions r very nitty gritting meaning they are of many decimal points so easiest is scrap paper and pen to do some rough estimates in the shortest time possible. Rememeber the biggest issue in the UCAT is the time constraint
i had a stroke trying to read this

agreed

getting good at using on screen calc and using online prep materials is the way to go

icycledough

HSC
Keep in mind that in the actual exam, you will get a whiteboard marker type and a laminated booklet with 9 sheets of paper. So to further your preparation one step further, try attaining a laminated A4 booklet and practice with that. It's very different to using a pen and piece of paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)