Putting quotes on a new line? (1 Viewer)

Jehnaier

HSC
I was told by my english teacher that we should write quotes on a new line in essays. Has anyone else been told this?

starrysky

HSC
My teacher actually advised me not to do this; she said if you integrate the quotes seamlessly into your paragraphs instead of placing them on new lines, it would flow better and would give the marker more of an easy time when they get to your essays.

I've never actually written quotes on a new line ... sounds a bit O_O ... but each to their own, I suppose.

Jehnaier

HSC
Thanks for the replies. I always integrate my quotes, so I'll just continue to do that. :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I don't think you should put them on a new line to be perfectly honest. By doing so you're not actually integrating the quotes into your discussion which will cost you.

shona1990

HSC
If it's around a line or more, you're supposed to put it on a new line. (so if its only a couple of words, then just integrate it.)

ccc123

HSC
Jachie said:
I don't think you should put them on a new line to be perfectly honest. By doing so you're not actually integrating the quotes into your discussion which will cost you.
I agree. we've always been told that our quotes should "flow seamlessly into out discussion". I wouldn't be putting them on a new line ever, unless you're quoting whole paragraphs or something, which I have no idea why you would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)