Q Crime (c) young male and young female (1 Viewer)

Mellonie

HSC
Compare and contrast problems faced by young male and young females offender when they come into contact with the criminal justice system.

- similarities and differences faced by young male and females is the question

- The criminal justice system (courts) puts harsher penalties upon the male juveniles due to statistics showing they r the main offenders. Thisis a basic thinking upon our society, as females are obviously seen as the more emotinal sex thus judges are able to take pity upon their emotional inadequacy. While juvenile males on the other hand have a moral restriction where thye have not been so free with their emotions. Since judges are able to take the emotions which are shown in court into sentencing process, thus it could be said, female juveniles will recieve a less harsher penalty then juvenile males due to statistics and moral attitudes of our society today upon males.

- Furthermore Police are also quite awae of the statistics which are present by the Beruea of statistics... Thus a article was printed on SMH "Black and Blues"- 6/7/05 where it was outlines police were using their discretionary powers only upon aboroginal males in redfern. ONce again this evidence backs up the claim how differently a male and a female is treated in the criminal justice system. That is police have the right to search and break up gathering on the street under Young offender act 1997(NSW) but due to statistics they will apply their discretionary powers upon males more then females thus bringing upon discrimination between males and female juveniles in the criminal justice system.

Regardless of the differences, both male and female juveniles are able to access Children's court, with all fees paid for by legal aid without any question. But it is just after they arrive at court, the discriminatory factors come into action, and also before court by police practicing discrimnaoty dicrestion brings upon intitutionalised inequality.

NOTE: MY TEACHERS DID NOT TEACH US ANYTHIGN ABOUT THIS SECTION, I WAS IN UR POSITION TOO. i thought about what i knew and applied it to the quarion, by breaking down what criminal justice system is

- Many ppl r saying not to compare and contrast young male and young female but just to generally compare and contast problems faced by "juveniles" offenders... i do not know how to answer that way ... but i read the question as comparing the male and felmales ... but if u answered this way maybe u can throw in what u wrote.

Last edited:

mrkotter

compare and contrast were the key words. so u are looking for differences and similarities if u can.
I wrote about males being charged with more serious crimes than females. Pretty much bullshit but its true how many females do u see on serious assault/traffic offences? i wrote more but ive already forgotten most of it.
Who cares anyway everyone was in the same boat. last year it was the differences between the common law system and civil law system

Mellonie

HSC
well if ur saying we werent supposed to compare and contrast young males and young females.. u couldnt really compare anything else if u think about it

and honetly the to doesnt have to be thier, the and kind of does the job pretty fine... uno

like the english side... if ur not comparing them two what the hell r u copmparing

jonathan__

HSC
well i did the "image" that young male offenders have as a contrast to young female offenders. I sed how the police, judge, and jurors perceived males to be more aggressive, and therefore deserving harsher penalties, then talked about a common aspect that they have of the lack of knowledge of their rights (e.g. despite their rights to silence, they may not know that and blab on how they killed sumone) and it's more emotional as they are younger etc. etc. elaborated and bsed sum more points lol...

sgoni

Shudnt have been asked as it was not in the syllabus..... very unfair

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it fell under this point:

¥ assessing the efficiency and the effectiveness of various forms of legal measures
in achieving justice through researching a current criminal justice issue

There is nothing else in the syllabus that would vaguely match the question.
And thats why the question was unfair. In line with that dot point most people researched a current issue. Some people did juvenile Justice. Most however did not. (I myself did mandatory sentencing) To ask something so specific, (it was even narrow within the juvenile justice area) is stupid. Most of the state knew at least one issue. However did the board expect us to know in depth ALL the various issues in the legal system? I dont think anybody thought they would ask us a question on a specific issue, maybe a general question on an issue of our choosing, but C was just outright stupid. There was no indicaton that we would need to know about juvenile justice, the expectation is that we are to know at least one legal issue. bleh.

If you choose to study juvenile justice in an assignemnt or what not, well luck was on your side.

Mellonie

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
If you think you know the answer to this question, post up what you wrote so maybe we can try to see where you went with it :)

Untill then, if anyone thinks they *magically* know how to do it, yet no body else does.. Just shut up.

YEr i posted the answer, which i believe is correct.. look at the first post.. its in dot points without expanding...

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
well i was speaking to my teacer and head teacher.. and the question shouldn't have been asked as its not specifically in the syllabus... only if you researched the area of juvenile justice you could've answered it correctly... and THEREFORE, we've been advised that it would wise to appeal on this point, which we are gonna do. it was extremely unfair to have the entire crime section backed into such a narrow topic area to begin with..

kouklitsa

irnie said:
well i was speaking to my teacer and head teacher.. and the question shouldn't have been asked as its not specifically in the syllabus... only if you researched the area of juvenile justice you could've answered it correctly... and THEREFORE, we've been advised that it would wise to appeal on this point, which we are gonna do. it was extremely unfair to have the entire crime section backed into such a narrow topic area to begin with..
exactly what im thinking! a state-wide petition.. whos with me????????!?!?!?! it should be taken away from the test altogther.. make it out of 93! end of story i say... its unfair and is disadvantaging us all

pig_93

HSC
irnie said:
TEACHERS OF THE STATE, UNITE

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The board cant fu*k around with us like this. this is our HSC. The entire Crime section pertains to Juvenile Justice. If you happened to do that as a case study you were at a significant advantage. Therefore it was most unfair as thre was no expectation whatsoever that Juvenile Justice had to be learnt. Yes the other parts of the question would have been easy to answer with logic. but they still relate to juveniles, which make them unfair.

rdiz

Ahhhhh!!

y. whY de F*K woulD dey do dat 2 us???? Wusnt EVen in de syllabuS!!! AGHH such wankers! whicheever genius sat dere and decided 2 do dat fukin crime question is A MORON!! AGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Kean

HSC
My teacher came and saw us a soon as we came out and said that Crime was really hard and and also said that this question you are all refering to shouldnt have been in there as its not in the sylabus. and the fact that you all noticed just proves that fact. He said he was going to ring BOS this afternoon but I dont know anything else yet.

Important: Get your school to ring the BOS!

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
That question was such a bitch. I only wrote 2full pages, and my writing was neat and small because i had to think of what to write. I just talked about Judicial and Police Discretion and how that quote "Male students generally had higher rates..." and i talked about stereotypes and i made up statistices from the ABS and i included a few actual case studies.. I dnt knowww. but i was psd off. Stupid question, i betcha who state fucked up slightly on this.

still waiting

HSC
my teacher thought that this paper was one of the hardest in the last five years and that this quest shouldnt have been asked he reckons theres going to be heaps of shit about it at the marking centre..
i thought it was such a dumb question, its not even in the syllabus ffs...

Superstar44

HSC
so are we appealing that damm question.. i would like to i was sorta conufused i wrote about juveniles in general.. not about male and female.... like i dunno... i never remember there being a difference in gender.. like i never learnt that... confused would like to know what goes on.. i would def appeal.... this exam the questions weren't definiite

_BaadShah_

HSC
i'd love to do another just crime question instead of this 1.. if they don't let us then dey should just like give us full or close to full marks for that question just to keep us happy..

lol...

cheers, ash

rajeev

HSC
hey question!

if we allllll went crap at it... or relatively crap... will they be slapping themselves? cause from all the past legal papers ive looked at, none have such a random question... i think maybe they will be like oh whoops what were we thinking, then maybe they will scale us up or something! or is that just my dream .... :s

rajeev

HSC
lets all call the board of studies and bitch about it! how fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)