q28 (1 Viewer)

astro boy

HSC
how many others did this? i liked it although the i didnt really know wat to specificaly write for the 'impact' i wrote the positive and negative impacts of each protection policy than the economic/government/consumer impacts as a whole on the domestic and global economies.... is wat i did right??

did anyone draw tariff and quota graphs as well?

hmm i think wat it all boils down to is that i knew my shit, just didnt know how to use it

kaseita

I did something unusual

I talked about the impact of protection on domestic economies (primarily the industries)

Then I talked about the impact of protection policies between trading blocs, and other countries

and then I started talking about the US, its current protection trend (rising), and how it was able to do it because the industries it was protecting, weren't its main industries

and how that affected Australia, and other economies.

cainen

I did this question and basically outlined negative and positive effects of protection as well. Didnt use any diagrams and seems as i'd learnt a case study on china i thought i might as well use it. A few ppl would have studied this case study and it could be linked because in some parts of China it has been opened up to free trade while in others it still retains protectionist policies so i compared the two. I dont even know if i should have done this or if it was right but it seemed like a good idea at the time..plus i was only up to about 5 or 6 pages and was running out of things to write.

macca202

Damn it i forgot to draw diagrams!!!! i just talked about types of protection, advantages, how there are organisations that remove protection, a bit about uruguay rounds at GATT. i didnt like q 27 and 28. I didnt know much to talk enough - only wrote 4 pages. Q 26 was sweeet, you could mention those 3 econmic issues in your answer and fiscal policy.

nakata

i pretty much explained protection and its advantages and disadvantages. Mentioning tariffs, quotas and subsidies, and drawing a graph for them. I failed to mention more statistics which im pissed at. oh well.
the first two sections were ok though.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I took domestic to mean a generic "domestic" - i.e made no reference to Australia? Do you think this is a fatal flaw?

Wait no....don't want to know...yes...but....no, ahhh just tell me ?

Stuffed up the fiscal one as well.....spose i can only hope for mc and saq?

macca202

Originally posted by timmii
I took domestic to mean a generic "domestic" - i.e made no reference to Australia? Do you think this is a fatal flaw?

SHIT! domestic??? what does that mean?? it didn't mention Australia once in that question?? it says "domestic ....economies" which gives domestic a plural thingy, so that means that it can't be talking about Australia, as as far as im concerned Australia only has one economy, dont we?

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
I think the question was asked as a plural because it ment both the domestic economy and the global economy. Think about it; otherwise it wouldn't make sense. How many global economies do you know of??

ezza

i think it meant domestic as in every single individual country, not specifically australia

but i just used australia as my examples anyways.

so how many pages id u write for that? I got 9, but then i only had 40mins to do the micro essay so i could only do 4 pages for that

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i did 25 and 28

the gay bit about 28 is dat u had to use economic data. And frankly there wasn't much data that i could think of that related to impacts of protection, besides generalisations and a few examples on aus and china, but those are figures that would occur with reduced protection.

i did 10 pages for q25, 8 for q28
about 10-12 words per line

HSC
i took a slightly different approach.
when i saw protectionist policies, the first thing came into my head was eu's cap and us's protectoinist policies.
so i talked for like 3-4 pages on eu's cap, and through that, i talked about all teh effects of protection, e.g., dumping, and how it stuffs up developing economies, etc.... and then how it stuffs up australia coz australia exports agriculture heaps
then i talked about us's protectionist policy - a retaliation effect.
then about how these protectionist policies distort wto and apec objectives.
i didn't put any graphs in though!!

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think the question was badly worded. <---- The opening sentence of someone who wants to foist blame onto someone else! (nahhhh i don't, i stuffed it up of my own accord)

I initially interpreted it as a hypothetical domestic economy and global economy. I then read it as several global economies, so promptly panicked and tried to add in stuff about the EU, America, Malaysia and China. And now I'm realising that a bit about Australia may have been more appropriate.

I just did what protection was, types of protection (with graphs of tariff/subsidy), probs with domestic economies (i.e achieving technical, allocative, dynamic efficiency, inflation etc), global economy (lower output, higher prices etc), and the CAP etc

Now i'm starting to forget what i wrote......oh well, its over and its at least another month before my "ignorance is bliss" mantra is shattered.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It sounds like everyone went along the same approch to this essay

I did kinda the same, except I was recalling stuff from my memorised essay, while adding a lot more in
I took it from a chronological/historical perspective, ie, at the start I mention why protection was first used by gov'ts (the "reasons" for protection) then discussed why protection wasnt effective, then talked about diff. types of protection (wit some graph), then gave specific examples of protectionist policies (EU, Au's tarrifs, and some south korea stats from my case study), and then the current moves towards deregulation for greater efficiency (howard govt's cutting tarrif's, influence of WTO/APEC etc)

I reckon I waffled on too much in this essay, coz I went to 16 pages (2 book, but i have bigger writing)

*Britney*

sounds like most people did 25 and 28 and so did i.
i included most of the stuff you q28 people added but when i spoke to my eco teacher he said that the key to answer this q was to use ldc's transition economies and idustrialised countries as my frame work then add in all the other stuff. so now i think ive written 8 pages of shit hopefully thestuff i did write was valuable and answred the q

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i think the thing with the question was it was very open to interpretation. Thus there is no WRONG answer, just better answers. Whether you took it hypothetically or used specific economies I don't think it matters. What matters is how much it suggested you knew. If you knew your economic theory etc. I think you'll be fine no matter how you took the question

nakata

Originally posted by timmii

domestic and global is a open question. All it is asking is wat the protectionist policies have on a domestic and global economy, so in general, what does a tariff, or subsidy or wateva effect the domestic economy, such as increased market share, and how it effects the global economy, maybe decreased market share. And jus expand on advantages and disadvantages of protection on both domestic countries and global ones, and specify using countries, most commonly australia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)