Q2Q Pracs (1 Viewer)

gabgab

HSC
examining the spectrum of Hydrogen is definitely one.

the best way to find it out is to consult the dreaded syllabus and look in the 2nd column..

gabgab

HSC
There's also cloud chambers, yes?
did you do a prac on that? what was it?

i cant remember it,, and uh, my prac book is nowhere.

now, i begin to freak out.

*runs around screaming and kicking things*

Mc Fadge

HSC
"Perform a first-hand investigation or gather secondary information to observe radiation emitted from a nucleus using Wilson Cloud Chamber or similar detection device"

Aim: to observe radiation emitted from a nucleus by using a Wilson Cloud Chamber

Method:

• Soak a piece of filter paper in methylated spirits, and place it in the cloud chamber
  • Cool the cloud chamber to a very low temperature using dry ice (solid CO2)
  • Connect the cloud chamber to a power source.
  • Place an α or β source in the hole in the side of the chamber.
  • Observe.

Results:
· An α particle would leave a broad, straight path of definite length
o Broad – high ionizing power
o Straight path – more massive than e-
o Definite length – all particles produced with the same amount of energy
o Shorter length – lower penetrating power

· A β particle would produce a light path with bends.
o Light path – lower ionizing power
o Bends – collisions
o All unequal length – released at different energy levels
o Longer length – higher penetrating power

· γ rays do not produce a visible track, since they produce very few ions in the air.

Conclusion:
We were able to observe radiation emitted from a nucleus by using a Wilson Cloud Chamber.
I have been given permission to post this on the condition I acknowledge that it was my very intelligent and caring and useful girlfriend who wrote it

Hope this helps, and if anyone can add something/notices something wrong, please add to it and post :)

Last edited:

gabgab

HSC
"Perform a first-hand investigation or gather secondary information to observe radiation emitted from a nucleus using Wilson Cloud Chamber or similar detection device"

I have been given permission to post this on the condition I acknowledge that it was my very intelligent and caring and useful girlfriend who wrote it

Hope this helps, and if anyone can add something/notices something wrong, please add to it and post :)

Thanks so much! Thank your girlfriend for me too. I remember this in class now. We didn't actually conduct the experiment because our teacher couldn't find any dry ice. but he showed us a you tube video of it, and the equipment that the school had.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)