quality or quantity? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Is it better to use every stimulus booklet text and skim over them, or should you pick 3 or 4 and do them in more detail?

Or is it a lose-lose situation where they expect you to do all in detail?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
well in the actual hsc you only need to refer to 1 stimulus booklet text... but i would know 2 in detail (just in case one doesnt apply)
you have to have 2 related materials as well as a good knowledge of your text

santaslayer

HSC
You only need to refer to one in any single question. Knowing all of them is an advantage because you may be able to use the text most suitable for the specific question. :)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
You only need to refer to one in any single question. Knowing all of them is an advantage because you may be able to use the text most suitable for the specific question. :)
mmm yeh but usually the specific question needs to fit in with your aos text.. so you kinda need to get the right stimulus booklet text to match with your text.. cuz all the stimulus book texts are different journeys so you should pick the ones that relate to your journey (sorry if i dont make sense lol)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
5? shit, My teacher said 2 in detail (3 at max) and pick ones that relate really easily to anything that you need it to.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
quality is always more important than quantity, sure its great to write heaps and stuff, but the more you right, the more you tend to ramble on, which is def. not what the markers are looking for, they would much prefer a succinct piece of work that actually makes sense and is relevant than a huge slab of text that has little meaning or understanding of the text.

aud

HSC
Quality, definitely

I wrote a practice essay for my trials, and only wrote on 1 poem, 1 BOS text and 1 related, asked my teacher what I should cull cause I had to shove in another poem and another related, and he cut my BOS one in half, even though he really liked it.

You only need one for the HSC, whichever one you can write best on. But you need at least two related, because if they ask for related texts (plural) and you write only on one, you're screwed.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
the markers only expect u 2 talk about 1 stimulus text - after all, ur talkn bout ur class text and at least 2 found texts as well. however, u have 2 talk bout it in depth and be able 2 link it 2 ur thesis, so id have knowledge of more than one in case the question leads u in a different direction.
someone said somethin bout them being able 2 specifiy which text u have 2 talk bout: technically, i guess this is true, however i dont think that they ever have and its not likely that they will - since everyone is doing a different type of journey, it would be unfair 2 specify since some of the texts r way easier for one type of journey than another. i know they have asked in the composing section 4 ppl 2 use one of the pieces form the stimulus booklet as a basis 4 their creative piece, but as far as i know they've never told u which one u have 2 do.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
im'm in year 11 right now..

but why do tutors always say u MUST write at least 1500 words.. or somethign like that. -0-

quality + quantity? >< *impossible* :D

santaslayer

HSC
boasboy said:

but why do tutors always say u MUST write at least 1500 words.. or somethign like that. -0-

Not entirely impossible. I think that it is always essential to find the right balance between both quality and quantity. Finding an equilibrium is always advantageous. That is, do not comprimise quality over quantity or vice versa. Some markers, IMO, are quite superficial and tend to value quantity over quality, therefore something in the middle is most beneficial. :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
boasboy said:

not impossible - basically, they want to see that you can sustain your writing, so work out beforehand a couple of extended metaphors, concepts etc. that you might be able to work in. you need to be able to show that you can do more than just throw in a technique at the beginning somewhere. anyway, 1500 words isnt that much - dont be guided by a word limit anyway, coz u'll be using the hsc booklets when u do it, so u probably wont know exactly how much ur writing anyway. i guess aim to write at least one booklet and u'll be fine. but like santa slayer said, dont just add stuff on because u think the story looks short - if what ur writing doesnt add anything to it, then scrap it.

frazzle

HSC
it's definitely quality. it's no use talking about all the texts you have studied this year if you're not goign to talk about them in detail and show your insights.

i did the minimum amount of texts [1 from stimulus, 2 from coleridge, 2 own texts] and got full marks, but truthfully, there's no way i could have fitted another text into the exam.

i wrote around 1000 words, i'm not a fast writer, so itf it was judged by quality i'd surely fail...

HSC
N/A
Well, I'm only studying 1 stimulus text in detail - Journey to the interior - because it's really the one one that relates really well to Inner Journeys (which is what I have to study). I'm also only studying 2 related texts in addition to the prescribed text (My PlacE).

I guess it depends on what AOS you're doing. Inner Journey is pretty... well, not really secular, but you get the idea. It's pretty specific so I can pick texts with a pretty good idea of how to twist it. Remember, the question they ask you is obviously going to be about journeys, so as long as you know your texts and how they relate to physical/imaginative/inner journeys you should be ok. Admiteddly some texts could be better than others - although I've never been in that situation - but if you have solid evidence to back up your arguement, they can't fault you.

Best wishes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)