Quality over Quantity (1 Viewer)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Does anyone else feel a little disconcerted/ indignant about the amount of pages people have said they've written? I mean, if people have to use 17 pages to get their point across, that to me is waffling.

Did anyone write a concise amount but still feel they did well?

maskd

HSC
I wouldn't worry about it, any bets they were just waffling on, and the person marking it will probably be annoyed/bored if they have to read that much for an answer, and therefore start to not care when marking.

I only wrote 5 pages for the essay, but I still believe that my point was put accross well enough to get a pretty average to decent mark.

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
dagwoman said:
Does anyone else feel a little disconcerted/ indignant about the amount of pages people have said they've written? I mean, if people have to use 17 pages to get their point across, that to me is waffling.

Well I wrote 6, 8, 11 pages. My writing is about 10 times bigger than most, as in, 3 or 4 words a line. Quantity really does matter and it pisses me off people like to brag how much they got down. My sister did her hsc two years ago and wrote 2-6 pages for each section. Her mark for English was in the 90's. So there's proof.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
dagwoman said:

I have huge writing. Changes size when i'm stressed like this
Luscious Llama is a Lloon

that's basically why I used 15 fucking pages.
Also I didn't understand the question anyway so smeh.
I didn't even realise i'd hit the end of book one, I thought I had heaps to go, cause i'm so used to writing A4 :(

I really hate it when people rag on about people like me, who DONT MEAN TO WRITE SO FUCKING MUCH ... and make me feel bad about using so many pages

Next time in the modules i'll be sure to use ...
half a booklet

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I was barely "ragging on" and I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I wasn't actually referring to people who have big handwriting, I really meant people who have been bragging about it.

davo522

HSC
Yeah i totally agree with this 'quality over quantity', especially after reading other comments about ppl who wrote over 30 pages in total.

I wrote 4.5 for I, 7 for II and 6.5 for III and im confident i got my point across and answered the question well.

meteorangela

HSC
YES absolutely. peopple who brag about how many pages.. argh they make me feel bad. lets just hope they really didn't write that much, or that they have HUGE handwriting.

I think i got my point across ok.. and my handwriting is about 12pt.
i wrote:

I - 6 pages
II - 6 pages
III - 8 pages

ScottyGEE

HSC
I wrote roughly (Coz of those little bits hanging off the end of the pages :p) 16 pages all up...I'm sure I "waffled" in the second section but I was procise in the third section...

My writing changes in size alot of times...Its typically small in height but I can sometimes draw out my letters to be very fat (think of making a picture stretch =p) and if I had of typed everything up intead of hand written it'd be roughly 8 pages perhaps...I don't brag about how much I write though, unless someone tries to do it to me and then I'll either use the "quality over qunatity" if they beat me otherwise I'd say I did both :p

This is my opinion, that you can only get the amount of detail you need in a larger than avg. amount of pages...Sure, you can get your point across, but so can 70% of the rest of the people, so by writing that little bit extra detail you can then distinguish yourself above the rest...

crazedmo2003

HSC
Whilst quantity does not necessarily mean you write of a high quality, generally you're only able to discuss texts in a substantial manner once you go around 900 words or more, which is around 7 pages I think.

And think about it, sure you're writing of a good quality, but you're competing with others who are also writing of a good quality, and what's more, they write twice the amount you write.

Quantity+Quality > Quality Alone

This is why I will never be great at English, because I can't write more than 3000 words per 2 hours before it becomes too illegible. But some people I know who write 4000 or so in 2 hours, at the same quality I write, will obviously whup my ass no end.

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
i wrote 21 pages all up, i actually thought that was enough considering it was double spaced and all.

I found that i needed more time - i did time management but in both the essay and the creative writing i cut one paragraph out to keep to the time limit - teh creative it didnt really matter and hopefully it didnt in th e essay either.

i did one book for section 2 and 3 each and i didnt waffle one.. thank God everything i memorised fit perfectly

purplepixie

HSC
Yeah, I like to be straight to the point while still attempting to include detail.
Hopefully that will work to my advantage in that I won't bore the markers with waffle.

crazedmo2003

HSC
Okay, obviously my assumption is that your essay doesn't have any waffle. Honestly by this stage you should be long past the waffle problem.

sideshowtim

HSC
hay guz i wrote 22 pagez 4 section 1 25 4 section 2 and 26 for section 3 diz meanz i will get a band 6.

Seriously I fucking hate it more than anything when people use pages written as an indication of how they went.

"So how did you go in the exam"
"Well I wrote 13 pages.."
"Yeah...but how did you go in the exam?"

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
i have big writing for a start so taht got my page count up, but i memorised everything so i didnt waffle i just wrote down what i had prepared and related it back to the q every now and then.

section 1 i admit i did waffle a tad... but that section was weird - i couldnt get the hippy story

chrismerjane

HSC
i have amazingly small writing when compared to others, i fit at average 8.5 words per line... my pages were:

I: 4.5 pages
II: 5 pages
III: 6.5 pages

But i know my essay was in excess of 1200 words, so i consider that pretty awesome :D

Page counts are NOT a way to measure performance, and previous HSC students results will will confirm that

crazedmo2003

HSC
Okay, I hate page counts for one reason:

People have different sized writings.

I fit 6 words a line, my friend fits 4.

It's an indication of nothing, not even how much you write!

HSC
I think page numbers is silly anyway...through numerous practices of that essay (whihc is probably why my whole arm up to my shoulder aches at the moment..I can write 1200 words in 40mins...and I'm fairly confident I did in the exam...but thanks to my handwriting size (about 15 words a line) I only wrote 5 pages for section3, 5 for section 2 and 3 for section 1...so I came out and ppl were going "I wrote 13 pages for section 1" and I was quite shocked...how you could possibley write that much on section 1, especially this year, the questions were all phrased and marks distributed in such a way that if you wrote much more than a paragraph for anything but the last question you probably waffled on too much...maybe a paragraph for the 3 mark questions and 2 paragraphs for the 5 mark question..

Lauren_Melrose

~Lauren~
HSC
Thankgod, people with some sense.... I was shocked and amused when one individual on here boasted about how they had wrote "over 60 pages in total with small handwriting." Blar Blar Blar, spare me the details.

areyouserz

HSC
N/A
no way, i dont' believe the people who say they used 13 pages for section 1... i mean, the time frament how is dat possible. Anyway dont worry people becuase it matters on ur rankings azwell, and so to the people who wrote that much waffle on about a wrong side of the question TRUST ME THEY TEND TO GET OFF TRACK WHEN WAFFLING. THUS, THEY ARE DOOMED!

sophieadele

HSC
yeah i think 60 pages is ridiculous...there is no way you could write that much and make everything relevent without waffling, there is simply no need. it's just wasting time when you could be going over your sections and editing them to make them perfect. also, it must be frustrating for the markers to have to read that much, especially when the entire state is doing journeys and it's all very repetitive.
i have average sized writing and i did 6 pages for section 2 and 3 then 5 for section 1 yet i still feel like my point was made. i don't even know how you could write that much for section 1 anyway. people who did like 15 pages must have used 2 pages just on a 1 mark question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)