Quanta to Quark Trial questions (1 Viewer)

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
i) Explain how hydrogen, with only one electron, can produce a spectrum with more than one line. [2 marks]

ii) Explain what is occuring during the transmission of an electron from higher energy level to lower energy level. [2 marks]

iii) Discuss planck's contribution to the concept of quantitised energy. [3 marks]

I could probably only scrape 1 mark for each of these questions. Any responses that could give me the full marks?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
maybe:
1) The electron in h can jump several shells, for example from n=5 to n=2, n=4 to n=1, n=6 to n=3, n=6 to n=4, etc producing more than one line on its absorption/emission spectrum (NB - some of the enegry released may not be in the visible light part of the spectrum, only the Balmer series releases/aborbs visibe light)

2) It is, essentially, losing energy, releaseing this energy it loses in the form of EMR /photons , with E=hf, thus depending on the transmission of the electron, the energy released will be a certain frequency/wavelength, and thus be released as a specific form of EMR - visible light, UV, infrared, etc

3) basically from Ideas to Implementation, so how he showed black body radiation, and thus all radiation (energy), was quantised into discrete packets of energy known as quanta (photons) - he then put forth his eguation E-hf, h planck's constant

Help much?

samwell

HSC
namburger said:
i) Explain how hydrogen, with only one electron, can produce a spectrum with more than one line. [2 marks]

ii) Explain what is occuring during the transmission of an electron from higher energy level to lower energy level. [2 marks]

iii) Discuss planck's contribution to the concept of quantitised energy. [3 marks]

I could probably only scrape 1 mark for each of these questions. Any responses that could give me the full marks?
(i) this is because the electron can move from one stationery state to another easily. The emision spectra produces multiple lines because the electron is capable of emmiting different frequencies of visible light as it falls from a higher energy level to a lower one.
(ii)the emmision of energy in specific quantised packets in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This happens because for an electron to b in a higher energy level it need to be excited and therefore possess energy.
<NOT SURE>(iii) Planck introduced the eqn E=hf after various experimental discoveries and observations. He explained that energy could be produced in quantised form. Albert Einstein confirmed his eqn by successfully applying this eqn to the photoelectric effect. Einstein's relationship of this concept with matter further confirmed plancks eqn to the concept of quantisation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)