question about moderated assessment marks/ranks etc (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i am REALLY sorry if this has been answered before- i realise how irritating repetitive questions are. but i've just looked through many of the stickies and done a search on this topic and it's just confusing me any more because i see contradictory versions of what i want explained.

basically, my question is-

following the exam, how are the moderated assessment marks distributed?

i'm curious about my ancient history mark, as it is my poorest ranking. i am ranked 8/85 but the top 10 or so are all VERY close together.

it's pretty safe to say someone in our group will get 97%+ in the final examination, so are marks then scaled down from there to whatever the bottom mark, and distributed in accordance with how close internal assessment marks were?

OR

say i am 8th
does my moderated assessment mark automatically become what the 8th-highest exam mark is?

thank you to whoever answers.. i hope i've explained myself clearly, i'm pretty confused about the topic

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
it's pretty safe to say someone in our group will get 97%+ in the final examination, so are marks then scaled down from there to whatever the bottom mark, and distributed in accordance with how close internal assessment marks were?
This is more or less what occurs. If the distribution of marks for your class on the exam is significantly different to the distribution of assessment marks, the relative differences might not be maintained very well. But generally, the situation you described is what occurs.

Originally posted by spin spin sugar
say i am 8th
does my moderated assessment mark automatically become what the 8th-highest exam mark is?
No - though where the distributions are similar, these marks should also be similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)