Question about the ATAR calculator... (1 Viewer)

Salehhh

HSC
How does the calculator provide an ATAR estimate without taking into consideration the school rank and subject rank of the individual? And sometimes they are pretty accurate ..

D94

HSC
N/A
School rank and student rank are not taken into consideration by UAC.

The marks that UAC uses are your raw HSC exam mark (your performance in the state) and your moderated assessment mark (your rank in the state). These marks are relative to the state - ATAR is relative to the state. That's all they need to determine your ATAR.

The combination of these 2 raw marks forms your raw HSC mark. UAC scales this mark, then adds your best 10 units to form your aggregate. You are then ranked among all other students and you get a rank, i.e. your ATAR.

The ATAR calculators use your aligned HSC marks. UAC releases tables that indicate the HSC to scaled mark conversion. By putting in your HSC marks, the calculators add up the scaled marks giving you your aggregate and thus ATAR.

They are accurate because they use the data that UAC releases. This means if I put in my marks in the calculator that uses the 2011 data, then it won't be an estimate, it will be the ATAR that I achieved (although since UAC doesn't provide enough data points, it can still be off by a bit).

Salehhh

HSC
oh yeh.. so the marks that are applied into the calculator are already adjusted to the ranks that the student at school in his subjects?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
oh yeh.. so the marks that are applied into the calculator are already adjusted to the ranks that the student at school in his subjects?
No, the calculator doesn't know your ranks or your school. What you put in the calculator is your final hsc mark, which has already taken your school rank etc into consideration (well not really but it consists of your moderated assessment mark) so the marks you put in only get scaled and the total aggregate gives you your atar.

Salehhh

HSC
No, the calculator doesn't know your ranks or your school. What you put in the calculator is your final hsc mark, which has already taken your school rank etc into consideration (well not really but it consists of your moderated assessment mark) so the marks you put in only get scaled and the total aggregate gives you your atar.
yeh that's what i meant lol.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)