Question on school rankings and HSC marks. (1 Viewer)

BobMac

HSC
Hey everyone.
Okay so I recently had my trials and there were some exams which didn't go that well - I didn't bomb out but I don't think they may have been good enough to get me in the top 5 for that subject. My question is if I have a low rank in a certain subject and absolutely ace the externals will I get that mark if there is a massive difference?
For example: Let's say that I am coming 8th in physics out of 50 in a school ranked 140ish (I've made it pretty accurate to my current situation) and in the external exams I get something really high such as 96 and the person coming first get's the second highest mark get's something around 93 does this mean that the person coming first will get my mark.
I know that a certain rank get's the corresponding mark for that subject but I want to know if that is different in various situations (i.e. a person in a lower rank getting a really high external mark). Because I do know that some BOS person said that it varies on situations.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advanced

keithbaby

HSC
I feel that way too, *SHIT* have to kick arse in HSC Exams!

i actually dont know, i asked the same question... some one said "highly unlikely" ==' and the other said "Yes you can.."

At least we are on the same boat..

BobMac

HSC
I feel that way too, *SHIT* have to kick arse in HSC Exams!

i actually dont know, i asked the same question... some one said "highly unlikely" ==' and the other said "Yes you can.."

At least we are on the same boat..
I haven't completely bombed I think considering my rank my teacher told me that I can get a band 6.
My problem is that I aim high

Dylanamali

HSC
This is how it basically works:

1. Everyone keeps their OWN external mark. So your HSC exam mark will be 96.

2. The only mark that is moderated is the internal ASSESSMENT mark.

3. The moderation works in this way - the mean (average) external HSC exam mark becomes the mean of the internal assessment marks. The ranks that are submitted by the school after trials/before the hsc are maintained, and each individual is given a mark corresponding to their rank. So if you finished 8th, you WILL get the 8th highest assessment mark - no matter how high you achieve in the external HSC. Your internal assessment mark will be determined by how well your cohort goes in the external HSC exam - the higher the mean of the entire cohort, the better for you.

4. First place in a subject (internally), will receive the highest external mark as their assessment mark. Similarly, last place will receive the lowest external mark as their assessment mark. The people/ranks in between will receive a moderated score between those two outliers.

Hope this helps, =)

BobMac

HSC

2. The only mark that is moderated is the internal ASSESSMENT mark.

3. The moderation works in this way - the mean (average) external HSC exam mark becomes the mean of the internal assessment marks. The ranks that are submitted by the school after trials/before the hsc are maintained, and each individual is given a mark corresponding to their rank. So if you finished 8th, you WILL get the 8th highest assessment mark - no matter how high you achieve in the external HSC. Your internal assessment mark will be determined by how well your cohort goes in the external HSC exam - the higher the mean of the entire cohort, the better for you.

4. First place in a subject (internally), will receive the highest external mark as their assessment mark. Similarly, last place will receive the lowest external mark as their assessment mark. The people/ranks in between will receive a moderated score between those two outliers.

Hope this helps, =)
Thanks this did help, except do you know much about crazy situations where the last place gets the highest mark or something similar cause I remember the person from BoS saying something about that.

Dylanamali

HSC
Ah sorry, but I'm not familiar with situations like that.. That would be a very crazy situation.
Are you expecting a 'crazy' situation to occur within your cohort?

michaeljennings

HSC

I think you mean first place in a subject internally recieves the highest internal mark not external mark as u said before your external mark is your own mark and no one elses

Dylanamali

HSC
Yeah.. i said first place in a subject internally receives the highest internal mark WHICH is the highest external mark.

enoilgam

HSC
This is not quite how moderation works. I always thought it worked like this but the process is much more complicated. This is how the BOS explains it http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

enoilgam

HSC
Dynamali's description is slightly incorrect. As seen in the link, marks are moderated to take into account the gaps between students. So the person who comes 8th internally does not necessarily get the 8th highest external mark.

Dylanamali

HSC
Dynamali's description is slightly incorrect. As seen in the link, marks are moderated to take into account the gaps between students. So the person who comes 8th internally does not necessarily get the 8th highest external mark.
I think you read my post incorrectly, I never said that the the person who comes 8th internally gets the 8th highest external mark...
"So if you finished 8th, you WILL get the 8th highest assessment mark - no matter how high you achieve in the external HSC".
I just said this to ensure he knows that the external performance does not impact his internal ranking.

enoilgam

HSC
I think you read my post incorrectly, I never said that the the person who comes 8th internally gets the 8th highest external mark...
"So if you finished 8th, you WILL get the 8th highest assessment mark - no matter how high you achieve in the external HSC".
I just said this to ensure he knows that the external performance does not impact his internal ranking.
Fair enough, my mistake.

tambam

HSC
Thanks this did help, except do you know much about crazy situations where the last place gets the highest mark or something similar cause I remember the person from BoS saying something about that.
Well your final hsc mark is the average of your hsc external mark + your moderated internal mark. (Since each is worth 50%)
So the guy who comes last internally will ALWAYS have the lowest internal mark.
Even if he then does really well in the hsc external exam, and this is the top mark at his school, it just means that this is the mark that the person ranked 1st internally will get.

But then his final hsc mark will be an average of a really high mark and an (assumedly) much lower mark, so it will be a decent mark.

timting95

HSC
Your External HSC Exam is 50%
Your Internal Assessment is 50%

The only way for the BOS to assess students accurately is to scale accordingly to the External HSC Exam.
So lets take for example. Rank 8th internally with marks in your school of [95(1st) 94 (2nd) 93(3rd) 92 (4th) 90(5th).....87(8th you)] and in the HSC exam you rank 1st.
I've taken an easier example to explain this.
No matter your Internal Rank or Mark everybody will get their External HSC Mark (as Dynamali said)
However your internal mark will be moderated in accordance to your school's cohort exam results
As you can see from rank 1 to rank 8 in your school everybody is separated by only 1 percent...lets say your schools average internal assessment is 70 ranging from (95-55), and your schools average external assessment is in fact 65 (ranging from 90 - 50). This means that your school has shifted down by a range of roughly 5% compared to the internal assessment marks. Anybody that is ranked average in your school internal assessment will also get the average of the HSC exams.
E.g. Sam got 70 in your school, he will get 65 for the HSC + his HSC external exam mark.
You will get your HSC External Exam Mark + moderated assessment mark (in my example about 82)
In crazy situations this still applies but there will be investigation into the matter. If you rank last at your school you will get the lowest moderated assessment mark + your HSC exam. If this does happen i expect the BOS to conduct an investigation as to see whether the student was misfairly marked internally or whether he cheated in his final exam. I hope this answers your question. That's about the extend of my knowledge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)