Question Regarding Scaling (1 Viewer)

engie_benji

HSC
I know the Atar is a rank, but is the mark received for each subject a rank aswell

For instance, if i got a raw mark of 85 in english and it was the top mark in the state (i know it never would be), would this scale me too 100?

Also my english teacher is a hsc marker and she believes 60% of people seem to fall in the band C range (9-12 out of 20) and 30% would fall into the band B range (13-16). I know band b here seems different than band 5 (which is 80-89) but i read a sheet that approximately 30% of people also fall into the band 5 range in adv english. Do you think a band B from the hsc markers system (13-16) gets scaled to a band 5 in modulation (80-89)?

I hope you understood that LOL

Beast_99

HSC
Don't think 'Scaling' really matters.
People get over-worried about which subjects scale more and which subjects scale less...
All you have to do is get Band 5 or higher in all your subjects, and your pretty much on your way to 75+ Atar (depending on School rank; your rank and how your hsc cohort performs).

tambam

HSC
I know the Atar is a rank, but is the mark received for each subject a rank aswell

For instance, if i got a raw mark of 85 in english and it was the top mark in the state (i know it never would be), would this scale me too 100?

Also my english teacher is a hsc marker and she believes 60% of people seem to fall in the band C range (9-12 out of 20) and 30% would fall into the band B range (13-16). I know band b here seems different than band 5 (which is 80-89) but i read a sheet that approximately 30% of people also fall into the band 5 range in adv english. Do you think a band B from the hsc markers system (13-16) gets scaled to a band 5 in modulation (80-89)?

I hope you understood that LOL
Umm, i'm not sure what you're asking, but i think most of your questions will be answered here http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

But if you aren't bothered to read it:
No, hsc marks are not a rank, they are a moderated (by bos) mark, and scaled (by uac).
Yeah, your teacher is probably right in saying that most people get extremely low raw marks for the hsc, and i think this year was the first time ever that average raw marks for each subject were revealed to schools, and lets say teachers/students alike were extremely surprised.

But basically they look at how hard the exam was, how well people performed in each individual section and then moderate the marks accordingly, so then the top performers in each subject will get close to 100, and so on. They also take into consideration how hard the subject is as well, to make all the marks 'fair'. (for example easy subjects like general maths and standard english, it is impossible to get 100 i think.)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you got a raw mark of 85/105 in English, and it was the top mark in the state... and if the BOS decided that the Band 6 cut-off for English was well below 85, THEN you would get very close to 100.

But that process is moderation, not scaling - as you say.

enoilgam

HSC
Your marks in each subject arent based on rankings. If you look on BOS you will notice that in some subjects have a higher percentage of people getting band 6's than in other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)