question thats going 2 be in the test (1 Viewer)

sic

i give u people a hint that their is going 2 be a 6 marks question on haloalkanes

the reason i know this is because my tutor is a persn who helps write the test and a senior marker

mon_mon

HSC
Nice. although i doubt the truth in your statment, the fact that you have said it will make me study that more.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sic
i give u people a hint that their is going 2 be a 6 marks question on haloalkanes

the reason i know this is because my tutor is a persn who helps write the test and a senior marker
i agree with your tutor, purely because its a prac with a lot of depth to evaluate, assess etc.

i would also put my money on comparing the heat of combustion of three alkanols for that reason as well...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hmm wenhui what kinda things do u think they will ask? all i can think of is an evil question combining two dotpoints

eg. Discuss the structure of CFCs, show reactions involving them and ozone to demonstrate removal of ozone from the atmosphere and discuss their longevity

N

ND

Originally posted by inasero
hmm wenhui what kinda things do u think they will ask? all i can think of is an evil question combining two dotpoints

eg. Discuss the structure of CFCs, show reactions involving them and ozone to demonstrate removal of ozone from the atmosphere and discuss their longevity
Heheh some kinda super 10 mark question.

N

ND

Originally posted by Frigid

i agree with your tutor, purely because its a prac with a lot of depth to evaluate, assess etc.

i would also put my money on comparing the heat of combustion of three alkanols for that reason as well...
Prac on haloalkanes? Am i forgetting something?

mon_mon

HSC
'Evaluate the significance CFC's have had on the hole in the ozone layer' or 'How have CFC's been used in industry and comercially, and what are the drawbacks to using them?' - any way you look at it, its gonna use at least 2 dot points. i dont think such a large question couldn't.

toknblackguy

HSC
unless you mean like, compare reactivites of alkanes and alkanols
cause that's easy due to hydrogen bonding, etc

or doy ou mean how to distinguish betwen alkene and alkanane via use of bromine water...declourises in alkene...

mon_mon

HSC
CFC's, my man, CFC's. It's in the Chemisty and the Atmostphere section, about Ozone and what not. Although they do relate to Alkanes, they have Halides, such as Florine, Chlorine and Bromine on them that make the Halo-alkanes.

toknblackguy

HSC
oooh
phew
then that's ok
so teh question could be something like explain how haloalkanes are bad for ozone, how they deplete, equations, how we are fixing it..that sortta stuff
bt do'nt we only have to consider Cl?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
it might be
assess evidence of ozone depletion with special reference to CFCs and discuss measures taken to alleviate such problems

mon_mon

HSC
WEll, we need to know all about CFC's, which contain Florine, but Cl is the only thing that damages Ozone

inasero

Reborn
HSC
not true...the bromine radical damages the ozone layer even more

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
not sure, cant remember the specific wordings of dot pts just no halons are from fire extinguishers, they were once thought as replacements for CFCs but then they realised they screwed ozone up even more as Br has greater ODP, so they banned that too

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by sic

lol, ya tutor can't b the one who writes the test, if so he isn't allowed to teach/tutor chem. for that year. :p

anyways, i reckon ethanol is definitly gonna b in it, um..it hasn't been in for the last 2 years so yeah...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
mon: like i said i cant remember the specific dotpoints in that section.... i know you dont have to talk about halons much but just know them as a side note

EDIT: just checked syllabus, 2 dot pts, one in the middle column said identifying sources of CFCs and Halons, the other in the 3rd column said evaluate different replacement for CFCs, so yeah both pts relates to Halons

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)