Question that's impertinent to the syllabus (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
Today I sat a Modern paper, strictly pertaining to dot points 3 and 4 (Turning points and Allied Victory). However, one of the questions was based around the Zimmerman telegram between Germany and Mexico, with the question being, "What were the REASONS for America's entry into the war? Use source A and your own knowledge ....". Now the syllabus clearly states the 'impacts' of American entry, thus I put strictly in my study notes the 'impacts', with the only contextual information being the German U-boat campaign.

Now, am I right in saying that this isn't allowed of the school? Other who noted the Zimmerman telegram were able to answer the question, but I couldn't. I've been maintaining consistently, ranks 1 and 2 throughout the year - am I able to appeal this in any way?

Thankyou

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How did the situation work out in the end?

I would have classified the Zimmerman telegram under the third part of the syllabus. By nature, the modern history syllabus, the dot points aren't super specific. In class did you learn about the Zimmerman telegram?

enoilgam

HSC
EDIT: I was a bit off - check the following post.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If it is a source based task and one source was on the Zimmerman telegram then that would be fine.

To ask 'why America entered the war' is also fine in the context of the impact of America's entry - as knowing what brought them in is important because it raises the question of whether or not they could have been kept out of the war with different actions by the Germans and so relates to its impact.

I am fairly sure that the Zimmerman telegram has also been on either an HSC or CSSA trial paper in the past.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If it is a source based task and one source was on the Zimmerman telegram then that would be fine.

To ask 'why America entered the war' is also fine in the context of the impact of America's entry - as knowing what brought them in is important because it raises the question of whether or not they could have been kept out of the war with different actions by the Germans and so relates to its impact.

I am fairly sure that the Zimmerman telegram has also been on either an HSC or CSSA trial paper in the past.
cem is a super awesome modern teacher so take her advice, and there are definitely past trials I practiced with it mentioned.

ncoul

HSC
Ok, I did a multitude of past papers and would have adjusted my notes accordingly if I had seen a question like this. Anyway, I got 21/25, losing all 4 marks in that question (and it was out of four). The top mark was 24, so I guess catching up is feasible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)