questions about uai bonus scheme.... (1 Viewer)

layzeehbum

HSC
i got my uai but i didnt get to the course i wanted.

according to the uai bonus calculator, i can get an extra 5 points

but the thing is everyone who's doing this course will get extra bonus points right?

and even if with your bonus points, you passed the uai cut off for that course.... what is the likely chance you get in anyway?

erm

HSC
you're talking about the unsw hscplus calculator thingy right?

layzeehbum

HSC
yes i look at the unsw and the uts calculator....

i want 2 get into b business at uts or the b economics at unsw but the 2008 cut off for both courses is 91.00

and my uai is only 87.65

and according to the bonus point thingie, i can get extra 5 pts.

so my uai to them will be like around 92...

but then, what is the chance of me getting into this course anyway? i mean they would accept people with higher uai first right? and since they will get the bonus pts as well....

erm

HSC
this is exactly what i want answered too.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
To be honest nobody can say with 100% certainty about whether you will get in or not.

That being said you haven’t not gotten into your course yet as uni offers haven’t been released yet (besides early offers).

Whether you will get accepted into your 1st preference course will depend on how many people have applied, get accepted and then choose to enter that course. They may lower the UAI needed (which has been done in previous years for some courses) and people with lower UAIs could very well get in.

Or you may get an offer in the later rounds, either way it’s just a waiting game at the moment. Good luck. :)

spence

HSC
layzeehbum said:
yes i look at the unsw and the uts calculator....

i want 2 get into b business at uts or the b economics at unsw but the 2008 cut off for both courses is 91.00

and my uai is only 87.65

and according to the bonus point thingie, i can get extra 5 pts.

so my uai to them will be like around 92...

but then, what is the chance of me getting into this course anyway? i mean they would accept people with higher uai first right? and since they will get the bonus pts as well....
You will get in as long as the cutoffs don't go above 92.65, so you'll almost certainly get into one. The bonus points shouldn't really distort the cutoffs as they were available last year

HSC
Bonus points places are like EAS, they set out places for people who are below the cut-off but manage to get above it on bonus points.

Source: peoples from Open Days.

rajputsingh

HSC
I was also looking at this issue and asking around and i got told from a reliable source that the amount of bonus points may vary depending on the competitness and demand for the course eg if heaps and heaps of people apply for the uts business course(which sounds likely as it is very very popular), the uni may only reward 2.5 bonus points and not the whole 5 points as many people who hav a higher uai but also missed out on the uai cut off mayb have applied so it all really depends on the demand of the course...the uni only has a certain amount of spots which it can grant therefore those with higher uais willg et first preference

HSC
rajputsingh said:
I was also looking at this issue and asking around and i got told from a reliable source that the amount of bonus points may vary depending on the competitness and demand for the course eg if heaps and heaps of people apply for the uts business course(which sounds likely as it is very very popular), the uni may only reward 2.5 bonus points and not the whole 5 points as many people who hav a higher uai but also missed out on the uai cut off mayb have applied so it all really depends on the demand of the course...the uni only has a certain amount of spots which it can grant therefore those with higher uais willg et first preference
Yeah that would seem right, i thought that too, but there are courses (BCom@UNSW) which appears very popular but have given the full 5 points before Unis 'are inflating scores' - National - smh.com.au

What was this reliable source?

rajputsingh

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Yeah that would seem right, i thought that too, but there are courses (BCom@UNSW) which appears very popular but have given the full 5 points before Unis 'are inflating scores' - National - smh.com.au

What was this reliable source?

It was a friend who started uni last year whilst a university was offering uai bonus points-he missed out by4 marks and the bonus they gave was 5 yet he still did not get into the course...he called up and explained it to him that it depends on the demand of teh course and thats why he didnt get in

candygore

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Bonus points places are like EAS, they set out places for people who are below the cut-off but manage to get above it on bonus points.

Source: peoples from Open Days.

So only those who didn't get above the cut off uai gets the bonus point? If it is, isn't that a bit unfair if the new uai cut off got higher and people who didn't get the bonus will have low possibility to get accepted? I mean, for e.g. if business was 80 then changed to 83 this year, and lets say i got 82, so i didn't get the bonus point, that means I can't get in while those who got bonus points can... i don't get this thing :S

spence

HSC
candygore said:
So only those who didn't get above the cut off uai gets the bonus point? If it is, isn't that a bit unfair if the new uai cut off got higher and people who didn't get the bonus will have low possibility to get accepted? I mean, for e.g. if business was 80 then changed to 83 this year, and lets say i got 82, so i didn't get the bonus point, that means I can't get in while those who got bonus points can... i don't get this thing :S
But the whole idea of bonus points is that UAI is not a good indication of aptitude at uni, whereas performance in relevant subjects will be a better indication

rockvsstone

HSC
So....does that mean a person who is above last yrs cut off won't get any bonus points?

HSC
Admission into your course is based on your Selection Rank, which is pretty much your UAI AND any bonus points you may have.

candygore

HSC
then what happens to those who didn't get the bonus points?? the students who got the bonus points will be accepted first into the course, wouldn't they? that means, the other students who didn't get the bonus points because they got over the cut-off will be selected later and has a higher possibility that they cannot get in because the ones who got the bonus points will fill up the place.... I hope it doesn't work this way because if it is, it's no very fair.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
well someone with 90 UAI +5 bonus points =95 would be ranked the SAME as someone who got 95 UAI + 0 bonus point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)