Questions from accelerated student (1 Viewer)

WALTAWHITE

HSC
I was accelerated in 4unit maths and physics.

Marks I received from this HSC were:

4unit maths: 93

3unit maths: 97

Physics: 81 (may repeat it, unsure yet)

I was just wondering about the atar I will receive next year, and how it will be affected by the group of students I sat the exam with this year/the exam I took this year.

Does having had an easier exam this year, in which there will be more band 6's than usual, benefit me when my atar is being calculated next year?

Also, do they (the board of studies) only provide state rankings for people for the top 10? (Not that I, personally, think I ranked that well in anything)

Would it be advisable to repeat Physics?

My subjects for next year are chem (which I'm good at and think I can achieve a low band 6 for for the HSC, can maybe place first in my school), advanced eng (may be able to achieve a band 5), and economics (which I hate, but may be able to get a band 5 or scrape band 6).

Siddy123

HSC
I was accelerated in 4unit maths and physics.

Marks I received from this HSC were:

4unit maths: 93

3unit maths: 97

Physics: 81 (may repeat it, unsure yet)

I was just wondering about the atar I will receive next year, and how it will be affected by the group of students I sat the exam with this year/the exam I took this year.

Does having had an easier exam this year, in which there will be more band 6's than usual, benefit me when my atar is being calculated next year?

Also, do they (the board of studies) only provide state rankings for people for the top 10? (Not that I, personally, think I ranked that well in anything)

Would it be advisable to repeat Physics?

My subjects for next year are chem (which I'm good at and think I can achieve a low band 6 for for the HSC, can maybe place first in my school), advanced eng (may be able to achieve a band 5), and economics (which I hate, but may be able to get a band 5 or scrape band 6).
congrats on ur maths marks, amazing.
definitely repeat physics bro.
and i also reckon, drop economics.

WALTAWHITE

HSC
congrats on ur maths marks, amazing.
definitely repeat physics bro.
and i also reckon, drop economics.
Thank you!

Yeah, only reason I'm doing it really is because parents think I should love it and don't want me to drop out. I think I might actually like it, too, if I had a half-decent teacher. Seriously, whole class complained about her and bugged head teacher about switching teachers, but principal wouldn't budge on it.

Siddy123

HSC
Thank you!

Yeah, only reason I'm doing it really is because parents think I should love it and don't want me to drop out. I think I might actually like it, too, if I had a half-decent teacher. Seriously, whole class complained about her and bugged head teacher about switching teachers, but principal wouldn't budge on it.
try improve ur eco over the holidays..
physics u will smash next year for sure.. u already know the content, do past papers all year!!!

WALTAWHITE

HSC
try improve ur eco over the holidays..
physics u will smash next year for sure.. u already know the content, do past papers all year!!!
Yeah, I am leaning towards repeating. I'm just so sick of it by now though!
I fucked up last year with the school assessment part by majorly slacking off (doing maths in physics class, never paying attention, teacher only ever spoke anyway, no worksheets, homework, booklets or writing on the board), maybe I could even make a band 6 next year. My exam mark was 85, but my assessment mark was only 76, dragging me down :(

Siddy123

HSC
Yeah, I am leaning towards repeating. I'm just so sick of it by now though!
I fucked up last year with the school assessment part by majorly slacking off (doing maths in physics class, never paying attention, teacher only ever spoke anyway, no worksheets, homework, booklets or writing on the board), maybe I could even make a band 6 next year. My exam mark was 85, but my assessment mark was only 76, dragging me down :(
dont worry bro-
maybe a band 6? no way.
definitely a band 6 lol.
u got dis;)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Tbh if you reckon you can do well in Chem and Eco, don't repeat Phys.

Unless you simply didn't try in Phys, your marks won't necessarily be all that much higher.

It'd be better to focus on getting a B6 in Chem and Eco. Just my opinion.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The subjects you accelerated are scaled this year - it would be unfair if marks from different tests/years were scaled together. Cant hurt to repeat physics if you have high aims - what course or ATAR do you want? As for amount of state ranks, that depends entirely on how many people do the subject.

WALTAWHITE

HSC
Tbh if you reckon you can do well in Chem and Eco, don't repeat Phys.

Unless you simply didn't try in Phys, your marks won't necessarily be all that much higher.

It'd be better to focus on getting a B6 in Chem and Eco. Just my opinion.
Hmmm, I think I'm leaning towards repeating.

I could always just do it up until trials, and see if I'm getting a better assessment mark, and if it's shit, drop it and keep this old mark, right? That'd be great.
I think I could do a lot better if I put effort in, because I came first in year 11, but really I don't like physics all that much (mostly because of the single, terrible physics teacher - seriously says things like "I'm not the one doing the HSC, you are, so you should be able to do these problems better than me/ I can't do them at all/ you should figure out on your own").

WALTAWHITE

HSC
The subjects you accelerated are scaled this year - it would be unfair if marks from different tests/years were scaled together. Cant hurt to repeat physics if you have high aims - what course or ATAR do you want? As for amount of state ranks, that depends entirely on how many people do the subject.
Thanks for responding to the first question!

Well, all I'm positive that I want to do is pure maths (which is around 80 for usyd and unsw, but only if it doesn't come with the title 'advanced', but I'm not quite sure what the difference is between 'advanced' and not), but I want to do a double degree (maybe), so I want to keep my options open (maybe do stats, comp sci, geophysics). Also, it'd be nice if I could get into maths with the title 'advanced' attached, it's gotta be different, right? Right?

That's 95.0 at unsw and 98.5 at usyd, I think.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Well, all I'm positive that I want to do is pure maths (which is around 80 for usyd and unsw, but only if it doesn't come with the title 'advanced', but I'm not quite sure what the difference is between 'advanced' and not), but I want to do a double degree (maybe), so I want to keep my options open (maybe do stats, comp sci, geophysics). Also, it'd be nice if I could get into maths with the title 'advanced' attached, it's gotta be different, right? Right?

They are different. Similar course but you do subjects which go into more detail, harder questions etc. Afaik (and take this with a grain of salt as im not doing a Bsc and do not go to Usyd or UNSW) you can do those advanced subjects if you wish and i believe at Usyd if you do all the subjects needed for the advanced degree even if you arent enrolled into it then you will graduate with the advanced. But that's for Science so idk if the same is true for maths and/or UNSW. Either way it'd still be an option to do the advanced subjects in first sem or year and then transfer over.

Siddy123

HSC

if ur aimin for a 98.5 u dont needa redo physics tbh
i was assuming ur aiming for a top 99

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
if ur aimin for a 98.5 u dont needa redo physics tbh
i was assuming ur aiming for a top 99
+1, you have the opportunity to repeat so may as well take it. If you decide against advanced however, there is not much need. Im sure you'd be eligible for a bunch of bonus marks (probably 4 or the full 5) for a maths course at UNSW considering your math marks. Then the 81 in physics might be fine as you'd realistically aiming for closer to 90.

ismeta

HSC

Also, if you do advanced mathematics at UNSW, you do a thesis in your last year - so it's a four year degree. (At least, if I have it correctly. Additionally there's no advanced mathematics/computer science degree at UNSW.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)