quick overloading question (1 Viewer)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
can first years overload in first semester? (30cps instead of 24?)
and if yes, does that mean you can 'underload' in say, second year?

KarmaKitten

HSC
No, generally first year students cannot overload. You can overload by by requesting permission from your faculty.

As for 'underloading', you don't need permission to do less than 24cp, you simply enrol in less. Though it will obviously mean you need to catch up on those subjects at some later point.

Last edited:

madsam

God among men
HSC
You can if you're given special permission from the dean and junk

My friend is doing a double degree (BE aeronautical (space) and adv science)_ and he's been invited to do Adv engineering, and the course it normally replaces is being replaced by a science course, so he's doing 30 cp in first semester

rx34

HSC
Hmmm, I'm also thinking of doing 5 subjects (30cp). Has anyone tried doing 6 subjects (36cp) before? I won't be working but will be living in college (but I'm not much of a party-goer anyway)

thesecond

HSC
Hmmm, I'm also thinking of doing 5 subjects (30cp). Has anyone tried doing 6 subjects (36cp) before? I won't be working but will be living in college (but I'm not much of a party-goer anyway)
I tried choosing 6 subjects for sem 1 but got told i would die if i did. But other than dying nobody told me it wasn't allowed so it must be possible for some people.

KarmaKitten

HSC
i'm doing 30cp at usyd in sem1, except i never asked anyone for permission, and the website allowed me to :\

should i have asked first?
Some faculties allow you to do just do it on myuni. But my faculty (Economics) insisted that I fill out a form and ask for permission. So I guess its different for every faculty.

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
I tried choosing 6 subjects for sem 1 but got told i would die if i did. But other than dying nobody told me it wasn't allowed so it must be possible for some people.
if you're doing some kind of science degree, you will not be able to catch up enough. Not to mention the time each subject takes...science degrees usually have 25 hours per week so assume around 6 hours per subject per week..you're looking at 36 hours of just lectures and tutes, plus they recommend for every cp you do you devote 1.5 hours of your own per week time to it. so thats like (1.5x36) 54 hours right then. Put it simply not enough time.

These subjects cover literally thousands of pages of textbook material per subject. imagine going through like 6000-7000 pages of textbook material in 10 weeks effectively. Even if by some miracle you got through it you will either barely pass if your incredibly intelligent and the exam turns out to be easy or fail most or at least some of your subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)