m000

HSC
N/A
What exactly is Rambo situation?

danz90

HSC
m000 said:
I guess you're talking about "The Siege", an episode of "Frontline", where Mike Moore refers to the hostage situation as a 'rambo situation', falsely imbuing sensationalism and hostility into a situation, in order to gain audience ratings etc etc.

magik22

HSC
m000 said:
Google Rambo Sylvester Stallone...

It's a pretty hectic movie. You'll get what it is after watching it.

m000

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. I've often used Mike's quote (Rambo situation) as an example of sensationalising reports but I wanted to know what exactly he was referring to.
Have a good day!:wave:

magik22

HSC
m000 said:
Thanks guys. I've often used Mike's quote (Rambo situation) as an example of sensationalising reports but I wanted to know what exactly he was referring to.
Have a good day!:wave:
Im not 100% sure what Mike is directly referring to but in my opinion it would be the movie Rambo starring Stallone. Mike uses the 'rambo situation' quote to make the news report melodramatic. Like to show that their hard hitting reporter Marty is in this battle field i.e. Marty squatting down in the dark to make it seem more dangerous.

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Chuck in intertextuality for a cookie

samwell

HSC
magik22 said:
Im not 100% sure what Mike is directly referring to but in my opinion it would be the movie Rambo starring Stallone. Mike uses the 'rambo situation' quote to make the news report melodramatic. Like to show that their hard hitting reporter Marty is in this battle field i.e. Marty squatting down in the dark to make it seem more dangerous.
If u analyse the context in which he says it is when Marty says, "we beleive he is a war veteran" you are very right to saying that it makes the news more melodramatic but also captures the viewer attention. This leads to the audiences speculating and connecting emotionally to the kids in the siege and therefore uses it to influence higher ratings and more essentially create drama(truth) from an irrelevant fact. e.g. the president is in hospital for a serious heart attack. from reports we have found that his grandfather and father died from a heart attack. probably not the best analogy (implied truth but not actually relvant truth becomes relevant to the audience). And martin di stasio is creating an unreal scene but from a viewers perspective it seems like he is near the scene of the siege. The truth is the victim to the sensationalism of the media[frontline].

vmoore

HSC
is it just me or did anyone else get this sponsored link ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)