RANKED 1st (1 Viewer)

Do YOU understand the UAI procedure?

• NO - (don't think anyone does, only the Computer a UAC)

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • i pretend i do, but really have no clue!

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Yeah, piece of cake

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

M-THIS

ok sorry to go over covered ground, but i'm sure some people will want to know these possible cases. Any HELP appreciated! THANKS ---- all in re. to UAI

Scenario 1: a person was ranked first for a subject, will he get the top uai in the school/class. (assuming UAI based on only one subject for simplicity)?

Scenario 2: If a person ranked one gets the top HSC Final Exam mark, then that is what the mark will be for the subject at the end, ths exam mark?

Scenario 3: What happend if a person Ranked one gets beaten by the second ranked person?
Hence can the second ranked person beat the first?

Scenario 4: A girl :p is a really selfish person - ranked first, she believes that she is immuned from everything, hense doesn't share info or help class mates (this is after the trials)... is She doing herself wrong? (not morally/ethically but UAI wise?)

Scenario 5: Person A and Person B does the same subjects (10 units), person A is ranked 1st in all these subjects whlist the person B is second in all these subjects. Discuss (10 Marks) :)

[l] this person has recently purchased the UAI seeker and is not a tightarse just trying to scam info, but however, is just a bit slow in understanding the basics in such procedures [/l]

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
1) he won't if he failed the HSC exam

2) yes his exam will be his own assessment mark

3) You talking about HSC exam? If thats so then the guy who came second will have his exam mark transferred to the guy coming first. If you are talking about internal assessments i would hardly call the guy coming first if the second guy is beating him :p

4) Yes she is immune. Though it is -always- best to help everyone after all assessments are complete if she expects to get the highest exam mark then she can say "haha suckers hope you all fail" without it affecting her UAI. only if she is ranked first.

5) Well you know, person A comes first and person B comes second. Wow thats soooo cool :D what did you mean by discuss ?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
1. Depends on his HSC exam performance. If he can top that as well, then he has the top UAI.

2. If the person gets the top exam mark as well as coming first for his subject (still assuming its a 1 subject HSC here), he will get the exam mark for his assessment mark and his exam mark for his exam mark. So its Assessment mark + HSC exam mark = 2x exam mark

3. It all comes down to the end where the assessment marks and ranks are sent to BOS. If the person coming first in the assessments gets beaten by the person coming second in the HSC exam, then it depends on how much the second person beat the first person. So even after the assessments are all over, its still anyone's game.

4. If the girl does not feel she can get the top exam mark then maybe she should start sharing her resources. To me, the whole moderating assessment procedure seems fair for every individual and the sharing of notes only pushes the UAIs of the students ranked around you either up or down but does not bring yours up nor does it bring yours down. By not sharing notes it just allows you to say "i beat you" and keep you up there so you can win awards and stuff.

5. If Person A got the top exam mark then Person A should have the top UAI.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1. Correctly answered by deyveed.

2. Correctly answered by Ragerunner and deyveed.

3. Correctly answered by Ragerunner and deyveed.

4. Correctly answered by Ragerunner and deyveed. Addendum: Theoretically, if she shared her notes with every student in all of her classes, all of those students would perform better than they would have otherwise. The academic ability of the candidatures for those courses would therefore be higher and would result in higher scaling. In reality, unless her classes consisted of several thousand students (or there were only a few students doing her courses), any difference would be negligible. :)

5. (a) Correctly answered by deyveed.

5. (b) In the situation that a student ranked first assessment-wise does not achieve the top exam mark, that student will receive the top exam mark as their assessment mark. Their exam mark will always be their exam mark.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
for (1) its obvious that if he failed the HSC exam, it will result in not achieving the top UAI as the question per stated by M-THIS. thats why i say he won't achieve it if he failed the HSC exam :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm? And if the rest of the class fails the exam also? :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
haha. you love thinking of the extreme scenarios :p

im being realistic here :)

well i think i am. i doubt a whole class will fail including the top guy :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Realistically, the top guy wouldn't fail. :p Bah, it was a silly question to begin with.

Curse you, M-THIS! :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i reckon most of the sticky's would already explain all this :)

Probably there are too many it scares people from reading it :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
haha. Thats something alot of people dream about. Because what could be better than first?

M-THIS

but ok, say some kid was equal first coming into the final trials, say worth 15%.... he can stay up all nite and beat him by a bit, or go easy, stay composed for the next days exam, and lose to him by a little!

whats the pros & cons?

Jeo

kekekekekekekekekekekeke ITS NOT WHAT U DO THE NIGHT BEFORE, or even in the exam, its what you do on an average day that counts

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ultimately, what is the (temporary) loss of a few hours sleep compared to a (permanently) higher ranking? :rolleyes:

I suppose it depends on your priorities.

M-THIS

shit ok a smart guy... saves his run for the last bit,,, able to take anyone in teh class.

goes easy in the trails, comes second... major demise? or status downfall

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Depends how far his mark is in comparison to the person ranked 1st.

Being 1st is generally a lot better as you are immune to everything.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
You know how coming first in school assessments gives you the highest exam mark for your school right? Well what about others below you (2nd, 3rd...)? Do they have their marks moderated against the person coming first (i.e. linear) or more like a bell-curve sort of thing?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The moderating process scales the rest of the marks quadratically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)