Ranking system (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
How does the ranking system impact the internal mark of those ranked in between 1st and last?

Mystery ATAR

Banned
HSC
N/A
It affects your moderated mark.

First place, will always recieve the highest external mark as their internal moderated mark.Likewise last place will always recieve the lowest external mark as their internal mark.

Everyone in between essentially has the same affect. I.e. 2nd will have the 2nd highest mark. However these don't link directly to peoples externals marks, but the gaps

enoilgam

HSC
Well, the person who comes first internally receives the highest external mark from their cohort as their internal mark. The same goes for the person coming last. The rest receive a moderated mark based on their ranks and relative gaps between the ranks.

Mystery ATAR

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well, the person who comes first internally receives the highest external mark from their cohort as their internal mark. The same goes for the person coming last. The rest receive a moderated mark based on their ranks and relative gaps between the ranks.
Better explanation than mine....I am claiming it as my own in future questions.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok, forget about rank, it doesn't mean much in the HSC.

Now, look at your positioning in your cohort. There is a difference.

I'll give you two scenarios:

A) raw internal marks are: 90, 89, 87, 85, 82, 80, 79, 78, 75, 70, 68, 65.

B) raw internal marks are: 90, 82, 80, 75, 74, 72, 71, 70, 70, 67, 66, 65.

So, you're ranked 4th. 4th means nothing, because in A, you're 5 marks behind first place out of the 25 mark range, and in scenario B, you're 15 marks behind first place out of the 25 mark range. But at the same time, you're 4th. So your actual rank doesn't really reflect how you performed relative to other students. Are you in a cluster at the top or are you in a cluster at the bottom? etc.

So, to transpose this to HSC exam marks, your raw internal mark is moderated according to how your cohort performed in the HSC exams. Because your school assessments might be easier or harder, the HSC exam is really the only assessment which is the same hence your marks are moderated based on that performance.

Let's say the HSC exam marks range from 95 down to 80, then ALL moderated assessment marks range generally from 95 down to 80. There are instances where they don't, such as if there are tied first place; the lower bound doesn't fit within a set mean. First place will receive the highest moderated assessment mark (this will be the highest exam mark or equivalent), and vice versa for last place.

So, the raw internal marks are sort of squished into the range of 95 to 80, but, the relative gaps/spacing between each student is kept the same. This way, it reflects your performance relative to other students, but on a state comparison. This new moderated assessment mark is comparative to other schools now. If my moderated assessment mark is 90, and you got 85, then I have performed better than you during school.

Essentially, you want to be in the upper echelon, but gain as many raw marks as possible, and as close as possible to first place. So, don't worry if you're ranked 50th out of 150. If you're only say 1-2 marks away from first place, then you're in a good position. But more importantly, it's how you and your cohort perform in the HSC exams. If your exam marks range from 95 down to say 85, then ALL your moderated assessment marks range from 95 down to 85. This means, you cannot get lower than 85, no matter how crap your raw internal mark appears.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Ok, forget about rank, it doesn't mean much in the HSC.

Now, look at your positioning in your cohort. There is a difference.

I'll give you two scenarios:

A) raw internal marks are: 90, 89, 87, 85, 82, 80, 79, 78, 75, 70, 68, 65.

B) raw internal marks are: 90, 82, 80, 75, 74, 72, 71, 70, 70, 67, 66, 65.

So, you're ranked 4th. 4th means nothing, because in A, you're 5 marks behind first place out of the 25 mark range, and in scenario B, you're 15 marks behind first place out of the 25 mark range. But at the same time, you're 4th. So your actual rank doesn't really reflect how you performed relative to other students. Are you in a cluster at the top or are you in a cluster at the bottom? etc.

So, to transpose this to HSC exam marks, your raw internal mark is moderated according to how your cohort performed in the HSC exams. Because your school assessments might be easier or harder, the HSC exam is really the only assessment which is the same hence your marks are moderated based on that performance.

Let's say the HSC exam marks range from 95 down to 80, then ALL moderated assessment marks range generally from 95 down to 80. There are instances where they don't, such as if there are tied first place; the lower bound doesn't fit within a set mean. First place will receive the highest moderated assessment mark (this will be the highest exam mark or equivalent), and vice versa for last place.

So, the raw internal marks are sort of squished into the range of 95 to 80, but, the relative gaps/spacing between each student is kept the same. This way, it reflects your performance relative to other students, but on a state comparison. This new moderated assessment mark is comparative to other schools now. If my moderated assessment mark is 90, and you got 85, then I have performed better than you during school.

Essentially, you want to be in the upper echelon, but gain as many raw marks as possible, and as close as possible to first place. So, don't worry if you're ranked 50th out of 150. If you're only say 1-2 marks away from first place, then you're in a good position. But more importantly, it's how you and your cohort perform in the HSC exams. If your exam marks range from 95 down to say 85, then ALL your moderated assessment marks range from 95 down to 85. This means, you cannot get lower than 85, no matter how crap your raw internal mark appears.
This was extremely helpful, I thank you for that :)

lonelynight99

HSC
So if I'm ranked 3th and the gap between me and the 1st is 8% then if the person that ranked 1st got 90, that means my assessment mark will be 82%?

nifkeh

HSC
So if I'm ranked 3th and the gap between me and the 1st is 8% then if the person that ranked 1st got 90, that means my assessment mark will be 82%?
no, not necessarily, according to this: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6642

"Tim gets the highest Exam mark as his moderated Assessment mark, Joe gets the lowest Exam mark as his moderated Assessment mark, and Fred receives a mark that ensures that the average of the two groups of marks are the same, and so in this case receives the middle Exam mark as his moderated Assessment mark."

D94

HSC
N/A
No, not like that. That raw 8% gap in your raw internal marks is for a certain range of marks, let's say from 85% down to 55% (i.e. a 20% range). Now, in the HSC exams, your marks are from 95 down to 80. So, That 85% is pushed up to 95 and that 55% is pushed up to 80. Then instead of a 20% range, you only have a 15% range, so that 8% needs to be reduced to keep the relative gaps the same. So I would approximate it to be around (8/20)*15 = 6, so you may get a moderated assessment mark of 89, in this case.

NB: this is very simplified. The real process involves the overall means of the cohorts. The mean of the raw marks is raised or lowered based on your HSC exam marks, then that gets moderated/adjusted so the relative gaps stay the same. There are also stronger formulas to determine the moderated assessment mark; the one I've used is just to demonstrate the meaning of relative gaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)