ranks ffs (1 Viewer)

bruhwth

HSC
Hello. I'm slightly confused about the whole moderation ting and I need some help understanding it. I've completed trials and for physics i am ranked 2nd in my cohort, whilst my friend is ranked first. The thing is, their weighted average is a single mark higher than mine. e.g friend (91) me (90). Will moderation account for this 1 mark difference so that my moderated mark is pretty close to my friend?

Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You are correct. This is known as a relative difference, which is more commonly referred to as a relative gap. NESA states that relative gaps between students’ moderated assessment marks will reflect the relative gaps between students’ school assessment marks.

Further information regarding the moderation process is accessible using the following link:

I hope this helps! :D

bruhwth

HSC
Ohk thanks. Also what happens if you are an outlier in your cohort? For example, for physics, my friend, myself and 1 more student are pretty much outliers when looking at the rest of the cohort. In that case, would other's low performance in externals drag me down if I'm ranked 2nd?

bruhwth

HSC
Also just to elaborate, there are only a few people (including me hopefully :)) in my cohort that can realistically achieve high b5 or b6 in physics, whilst the others are mid b5, b4 and below.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohk thanks. Also what happens if you are an outlier in your cohort? For example, for physics, my friend, myself and 1 more student are pretty much outliers when looking at the rest of the cohort. In that case, would other's low performance in externals drag me down if I'm ranked 2nd?
Also just to elaborate, there are only a few people (including me hopefully :)) in my cohort that can realistically achieve high b5 or b6 in physics, whilst the others are mid b5, b4 and below.
No worries. From this information, it seems that your rank is sufficiently high not to be affected by the lower performance of the rest of your cohort. Put simply, your Assessment Mark will be similar to the second highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in your cohort, which does not necessarily have to be achieved by one of the 3 highest performing students, although it will likely come from one of those students. Either way, the Examination Mark achieved is the element that matters, not the student who achieves it.

bruhwth

HSC
Oh ok thank you so much. I was using physics as an example because competition is so tight at the top ranks, in fact until yesterday based on my calculation for others' weighted marks I thought I was a mark behind #1, it turns out I made an error inputting my friend's first exam mark and irl we are exactly tied for first rank. But again thank you so much because what you said basically applies for all my subjects where there is a massive 'cliff' between high rankings and the majority.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh ok thank you so much. I was using physics as an example because competition is so tight at the top ranks, in fact until yesterday based on my calculation for others' weighted marks I thought I was a mark behind #1, it turns out I made an error inputting my friend's first exam mark and irl we are exactly tied for first rank. But again thank you so much because what you said basically applies for all my subjects where there is a massive 'cliff' between high rankings and the majority.
No worries! That is good to hear. Best of luck with your HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)