Referencing media articles (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
When referencing media articles and statistics, would it be acceptable to just reference the article's title, the news paper that published it, and the year that it was published?

Or do you have to be more specific and provide the month and day? (or even just the month)

Thanks in advanced.

enoilgam

HSC
I havent looked through the guidelines, but I would imagine that in an exam, just mentioning the article and author would suffice (i.e. According to the article X by Y...). In uni exams, if you reference they just expect you to make an attempt at acknowledging the source, so I doubt whether the standard would be more stringent for the HSC.

If you have to do this for a hand in assignment, then I would probably use one of the referencing systems used at a uni level (Havard, A.P.A etc). I doubt whether they will mind which one you use, as long as you use it consistantly.

Examine

same
HSC
Ahh ok thanks. I was wondering because it'd take a lot more effort to remember specific months than just the articles, publisher and year.

enoilgam

HSC
Ahh ok thanks. I was wondering because it'd take a lot more effort to remember specific months than just the articles, publisher and year.
I would double check with your teacher, but I doubt they would want you to be that specific. Like I said, they dont even have that expectation at a uni level, so it doesnt seem likely that they would make you do it for the HSC.

albertcamus

HSC
I would double check with your teacher, but I doubt they would want you to be that specific. Like I said, they dont even have that expectation at a uni level, so it doesnt seem likely that they would make you do it for the HSC.
So is it sufficient to say:

“Rights must be balanced with Responsibilities” (SMH, 2010)

or should you say like “Rights must be balanced with Responsibilities” (SMH, Dec 2010) and even add the journalist?

enoilgam

HSC
So is it sufficient to say:

“Rights must be balanced with Responsibilities” (SMH, 2010)

or should you say like “Rights must be balanced with Responsibilities” (SMH, Dec 2010) and even add the journalist?
I would probably say that the journalist is more important than the date. Something like “Rights must be balanced with Responsibilities” by Joe Bloggs (SMH, 2010) would be enough. If you've forgot and are desperate, you could probably just get away with the title and publication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)