refferencing (1 Viewer)

sandra

HSC
Does anyone know whether if youre writing a case note on a case, when youre reffering to the judgement you have to only give the specific passage ( eg at 560 the court said.. ) or also give the full citation in the text or in a footnote ?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't remember what I did for my case note, do you have the little green referencing book by stumcke its great and should tell you, otherwise ask youur tutor.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

melsc said:
I don't remember what I did for my case note, do you have the little green referencing book by stumcke its great and should tell you, otherwise ask youur tutor.
UWS has said tha they prefer the Aus Legal referencing guide (can't remember the website, but you can d/l it).

They said stumcke is still acceptable, but it's probably ebtter to use the Aus guide as it's more broadly accepted etc - at least according to Jenn Ireland and she made it sound as though this is general consensus throughout the school.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
UWS has said tha they prefer the Aus Legal referencing guide (can't remember the website, but you can d/l it).

They said stumcke is still acceptable, but it's probably ebtter to use the Aus guide as it's more broadly accepted etc - at least according to Jenn Ireland and she made it sound as though this is general consensus throughout the school.
Thats weird because when I was in first year at UWS they told us to buy stumcke. The Aus guide should be somewhere on either the school of law or libaray websites

L

LaraB

melsc said:
Thats weird because when I was in first year at UWS they told us to buy stumcke. The Aus guide should be somewhere on either the school of law or libaray websites
I don't see how thta's weird - this year is a different year to last year. Policies change.

All the other style guides, eg SOM Essay writing guide, constantly change....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
I don't see how thta's weird - this year is a different year to last year. Policies change.

All the other style guides, eg SOM Essay writing guide, constantly change....
I just figured things like that didn't really change, anyhow thats irrelevant to the thread.

To threadstarter: check ur referencing guide, if you are unsure of what guide to use it should say so in the unit outline otherwise ask your tutor.

Jonathan A

HSC
We are now starting to move to the Australian Guide to Legal Citation (AGLC) as pioneered by the University of Melbourne. That is not to say Stuhmke is wrong at all - Stuhmke does in many ways fall consistently with the AGLC with some variations.

Case notes are an interesting thing to compile. One of the articles I edited last year for the UWS Law Review was in fact a case note. The rule is (generally) you need to fully cite the case each time. E.g. [2004] HCA 23, [45].

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
4eyesnb said:
hey, any one know this harvard reference generator?. It helps you alot in making reference list in harvard style.

I just put the URL in this thread!:rofl:

http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/
thanks...pitty we can't use harvard in law...the referencing was so difficult for my first assignment.

AND this year they made first year law students buy the stumcke book for referencing. And all our assignments so far have given us the option of stumcke or the AGLC.

Jonathan A

HSC
You shouldn't use Harvard for a legal bibliography.

Reasons:
1. If you use Stuhmcke / Oxford System: citations have the year at the end of the bibliography citation (whereas in Harvard, citation has year directly after name).
2. If you use AGLC, there is no bibliography.

HSC
N/A
Do you have to use legal referencing for all law related units? Such as:
Taxation Law
Law of Business Organisations
Estate and Succession Planning
Retirement Planning
Financial Transactions Law

Last edited:
L

LaraB

melsc said:
You can use harvard for the bibliography though
1 - No you can't! If you use harvard it'll be treated as incorrect and can cost you marks.

Stuhmcke clearly provides examples of bibliographies that are different from the Harvard system.

2 - that auto generator thing is a bad idea because you still need to go thru them all and check them because it's not always correct - 90% of the time it will be, but considering generally in Business units referencing carries marks, you don't want to lose marks simply because you didn't do it yourself.

Plus, it's not that hard and its better to learn how to do it yourself anyway :)

L

LaraB

UWS-Uni-Student said:
Do you have to use legal referencing for all law related units? Such as:
Taxation Law
Law of Business Organisations
Estate and Succession Planning
Retirement Planning
Financial Transactions Law
As a general rule - yes. Why owuldn't you? All law units entail basis in research or cases, its pretty well impossible to base it on your own thoughts given the nature of law.

Of course in units like ones related to Wills etc where assessments have been to create a will, you won't hav eto reference in the same way as for other problem questions, but not all the assessments are this "pratical"...

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
As a general rule - yes. Why owuldn't you? All law units entail basis in research or cases, its pretty well impossible to base it on your own thoughts given the nature of law.
Well obviously you would reference, but I was wondering whether the standard legal format of referencing (ie footnotes) had to be used, or whether Harvard Referencing was acceptable

LaraB said:
Of course in units like ones related to Wills etc where assessments have been to create a will, you won't hav eto reference in the same way as for other problem questions, but not all the assessments are this "pratical"...
Good to know. Am I right in thinking that your above general rule was merely that and not indicative of those specific units?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
haha..oh, i do apologise..
but Sandra, being a Uni student and being incapable of spelling 'referencing' really plays into the stereotype of UWS...
ummm..gtfo
I never knew there was a stereotypical UWS student...all my UWS friends seem to be very different from each other. I have heard of the stereotypical bitch though...they usually personify themself as arrogant HSCers.

Oh, where are my manners. Feel free to go back to educating the BoS community about educational institutions by teasing private schools and UWS students. Heck, keep bitching about catching venereal diseases, everyones spelling and everything else that your little mind fails to comprehend while trying to use big words in a failed attempt to gain credibility. And don't forget, your shitness has not gone unnoticed. And yes nichhole, just remember, I'm secretly giggling to myself remembering how much damn better I am than you...

edit: I really must attribute the most egotistical sentence above to nichhole.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
nichhhole said:
but Sandra, being a Uni student and being incapable of spelling 'referencing' really plays into the stereotype of UWS...
Any uni student can make a typo, poor spelling is also not always a sign of a lack of intelligence. I often spell words wrong, does that make me stupid?

Oh and poor grammar is just as bad.

Last edited:

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
You sound like some typical year 12 uni masturbators who lurking in the forum and suddenly make an significant commend on an university, when some one from that university made a spelling mistake.:rofl:

BTW, are you studying 4unit maths? I'm really worried about you maths since you have a serious problem with induction logic.:rofl:

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
4eyesnb said:
You sound like some typical year 12 uni masturbators who lurking in the forum and suddenly make an significant commend on an university, when some one from that university made a spelling mistake.:rofl:

BTW, are you studying 4unit maths? I'm really worried about you maths since you have a serious problem with induction logic.:rofl:
1. It's comment. Although I commend you on your attempts at grammar and spelling.

2. Someone is one word.

3. You really don't need to put the ' :rofl:' emoticon after each statement. It's not needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)