Related Material in a Different Language (2 Viewers)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Apparently its allowed to have supplementary material which is of a different language. Is anyone doing something like this? Or contemplating to do so?

Also, if we do choose to do this, how do we go about qoutes and text references? Is it complete translation?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did that last yr, and the teacher who was marking had no idea, but i still got 20/20 (i had 2 other texts, which he commented all over), but for the hindi movie - he just ticked everywhere. I think you can, but i wouldnt recommend it in yr12. I did a complete translation, cos there were subtitles, which made it easier..

ishq

brown?
HSC
co incidential! i am doing a hindi movie too. What did you do?
In year eleven, i did this hindi text - which was pretty old, and so had 'classic' value added. The translations were alright, but because it was a text, things were alright.

I am worried about the movie as it might be considered something commercial.

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
I used 'Amelie' as related material -- French movie. Again it had subtitles, so I didn't even consider that it would be a problem... and I got full marks for my analysis, and no-one mentioned anything about it being in a different language... I don't think it's a problem :)

Kulazzi

HSC
well which hindi movie are you thinking of doing? There are heaps out there with journey (most of which have the same storyline!). I'd say one of the very emotional ones eg. k3g and the other one, with SRK, priety and saif ali khan in it. I forgot the name. Main Hoon Na is another.

But, the specific ones I don't suggest is ANY with fardeen khan in it. They're just too bad. Sorry if you love him but I don't think it'll be worth writing on paper about it. Or kareena kapoor.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Kulazzi said:
well which hindi movie are you thinking of doing? There are heaps out there with journey (most of which have the same storyline!). I'd say one of the very emotional ones eg. k3g and the other one, with SRK, priety and saif ali khan in it. I forgot the name. Main Hoon Na is another.

But, the specific ones I don't suggest is ANY with fardeen khan in it. They're just too bad. Sorry if you love him but I don't think it'll be worth writing on paper about it. Or kareena kapoor.
No, nothing of the sort - I dont really think any of the commercial movies have enough material to go on.

I was thinking along the lines of Mr and Mrs Iyer - the communal hatred and the 'disturbances' between Hindu/Muslims is really pronounced. Comparing that with the conditions today - peace treaties etc... these countries have really come a long way.

Another movie I was initially considering was Gadar - have you heard of it? I didn't really like the actual implementation, but the story was quite good. But yeah, i dropped the idea of Gadar...

Kulazzi

HSC
I haven't heard Mr. and Mrs. Iyer or Gadar (maybe gadar, don't know), who's in it? Are these recent? Isn't there one similar to Iyer, where a Muslim girl loves the Hindu boy (or the other way around)??? It has Amrish Puri in it, I'm certain, I don't know the movie name.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Gadar is a few years old - I think 2 or 3. As for who is in it...hehe lol...im pretty bad with names. I think the female lead was Amisha Patel. Mr. and Mrs. Iyer is really not hindi, it is an english movie - i found it at the local Video Ezy...so i dont think you can classify it as 'hindi'.

The movie you are referring to, could be one of many. From my experience with Hindi movies (not very vast), that plot line is delved into quite often.

But, yeah - are you thinking of taking on related material in a different language?

Kulazzi

HSC
ishq said:
Gadar is a few years old - I think 2 or 3. As for who is in it...hehe lol...im pretty bad with names. I think the female lead was Amisha Patel. Mr. and Mrs. Iyer is really not hindi, it is an english movie - i found it at the local Video Ezy...so i dont think you can classify it as 'hindi'.

The movie you are referring to, could be one of many. From my experience with Hindi movies (not very vast), that plot line is delved into quite often.

But, yeah - are you thinking of taking on related material in a different language?
I'm thinking that but I don't think my teacher will encourage it. I'll ask the Head (he's extra nice!) and see what his opinion is. I just thought of another one ---> "Bride and Prejudice" that's a good one to use.

hello99999

HSC
With a film, it's definetely OK to use one in a foreign language, I know quite a few people in my class did so last year and still received good marks. In fact, it's probably even better than using an english film because at least it would be less common and the markers would be less likely to have seen it or heard about it. But if you were using a book or a poem in another language than I don't know if that would work.

It does seem kind of stupid though, I mean the subject is meant to be ENGLISH, but with the focus on techniques and all it seems more like a communications subject or something.

Kulazzi

HSC
I agree hello99999. But then again, as you mentioned, ti would be unique as no-one else has done it before.

btw, ishq, ur a girl......right? :p

Kulazzi

HSC
yeah, lagaan is a good one. I'm doing inner and there's so many yet they have the same storyline. I think I'll do Bride and Prejudice.

ishq

brown?
HSC
wrx said:
Lagaan would be a good one for physical journey. I may consider using it for my assesment task in t1, over my old text.
Lagaan would be an interesting choice - I didnt even think of that one - For Physical Journeys though, I am not sure.....then again the cricket pitch can be jouney enough...

Kulazzi said:
I agree hello99999. But then again, as you mentioned, ti would be unique as no-one else has done it before.

btw, ishq, ur a girl......right? :p
How did you guess? :rolleyes:

Bride and Prejudice - I cant even give an opinion on that one - havent seen it...

Kulazzi

HSC
ishq said:
How did you guess? :rolleyes:
well, I wasn't sure which is why I asked to confirm what gender you are....

Ishq said:
Bride and Prejudice - I cant even give an opinion on that one - havent seen it...
From what I've seen, it looks ok. I'm doing inner journey so there'll be a lot in there (I hope!)

ishq

brown?
HSC
wrx said:
You could relate Lagaan to physical as it is just as much physical as it is inner. Basically every journey can be said to be an inner journey....
I guess its been too long since I saw it......

Kulazzi said:
well, I wasn't sure which is why I asked to confirm what gender you are....

And anyway, any guy who would be willing to name himself ishq, fully knowing the meaning of the word, would have serious issues. :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
wrx said:
yeah lagaan will cost u 3hours of ur time aswell. But i reckon its a good indian one...
hehe...more along the lines of 5 hrs - if you are like me and rely heavily on the subtitles - which are often wrong anyway.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)