Related Texts for Into the World (1 Viewer)

Jamie C

HSC
I've been through a few threads on here and not finding much useful.

Im doing Billy Elliot and need to find some related texts relatively soon as I have exams in a week in a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

fafate

HSC
Hi, I've found other people talking about texts like:
The Story of Tom Brennan
Someday Nickelback
Opportunity Pete Murray (EASIEST text book type, easy to refer to anything related to Into the world.)
Edward Scissorhands.
But i dunno if they are any good. I'm going to go back and look through year 10 and 11 english books and find any texts there that may be good ones.
Goodluck.

Last edited:

Zebrac

HSC
Lol
Try this: The Forgiveness Project | stories | John Carter (England)
Its a quick internet article that relates to Tom Brennan really well.
You'll immediately notice similarities between John from the article and Daniel from TSOTB, except that the article completely focuses on John.

Im yet to finish my speech + practise essay on the topic, I'll probz have them done by tonight. So if you want to compare them or something, email me at joshuagonsalves@optusnet.com.au and I'll send it to you.

P.S.
Billy Elliot is to mainstream. You want to do something that will grab the marker's attention. This is my experience though, so dont hang on to every word thinking you'll get full marks. Some good advice - Dont follow the crowd.

Try Gridiron Gang instead. Extremly relevent movie - its almost like TSOTB the movie. Also Whale Rider is a good choice.

Good luck for next week,
Joshua Gonsalves - Gilroy College '10

Jamie C

HSC
Thanks for the advice.

I'm considering doing "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman. I studied this text in year 11 in the unit of belonging.

Joshua,

I have to use my prescribed text in the exams. My prescribed text it Billy Elliot so I don't have much of a choice. I just had a quick read of the John Carter story and i'm also considering that. Although it doesn't really relate to Billy Elliot, it shows ones transition from and old world into a new world which is what the module is based on.

Cheers,

Jamie

tia01

HSC
hi could you please send your notes im struggling sooo muchhh!!!

tia01

HSC
Also that link did not work:S
do you know why or have it saved on your computer ?

Thanx Tia..

EdizB

HSC
These 3 are some really simple movies that represent coming into the world and can be elaborated on:
  • Shrek
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • Juno
  • 8 Mile
  • Mean Girls (its amazing how many things you can use this for)
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • The Kite Runner (book or movie)
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • and most teen flicks

helen23344

HSC
Hi, just wondering do you still have your notes on fast car, it would help so much?

Bakakoko

HSC
I've been through a few threads on here and not finding much useful.

Im doing Billy Elliot and need to find some related texts relatively soon as I have exams in a week in a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you also studied "Simple Gift" by Steven Herrick it is an extremely interchangeable text. You can use id for Into the world/Growing Up and Distinctive voices.
Same thing with Billy Elliot, it can be used for belonging and Distinctive voices.
It's an extremely short poem styled book with only 205 pages and around 40 works per page it took me about 3 and a half hours to read and im a slow reader.

If not, some suggestions are:
- "Changes" by 2Pac
- "Precious" (is a film, i have no idea who it's directed by.)
- "The Last Samurai"
- "Toy Story"

Just my 2 cents

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)