repeating year 11 and accelerating 2U and Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

bestcomeback

HSC
Hello, I just wanted your opinion on repeating year 11 and accelerating 2U and chemistry? i wasnt able to do 4U maths this year due to not being able to do well in it while balancing my other subjects. I had a hug gap in my schooling (7-10) and catching up was difficult, although i feel as if im doing well right now. If i repeat i could accelerate 2U and chemistry and do 4U (new syllbus) the next year (2020). Also i got 64% for chemistry the first term and ranked 8/30, this year 5 people achieved a band 6 in chemistry at my school. Is a 92-95 in chemistry still achieveable? and any advice? thank you!!!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, I just wanted your opinion on repeating year 11 and accelerating 2U and chemistry? i wasnt able to do 4U maths this year due to not being able to do well in it while balancing my other subjects. I had a hug gap in my schooling (7-10) and catching up was difficult, although i feel as if im doing well right now. If i repeat i could accelerate 2U and chemistry and do 4U (new syllbus) the next year (2020). Also i got 64% for chemistry the first term and ranked 8/30, this year 5 people achieved a band 6 in chemistry at my school. Is a 92-95 in chemistry still achieveable? and any advice? thank you!!!
Honestly wouldn't repeat if I was you. Most courses in uni won't even need 4 unit maths, unless you are planning to do something like medicine where you need the extremely high ATAR, even so you can get same ATARs without 4 unit maths. So don't really see the benefit of repeating a whole year just for one subject. Have to look at it in the larger scope of things that being you lose one year when you could have just used that in first year university. Also, things like your friends won't be in the same uni year as you are also things to consider. That might make transition to uni harder. I would just personally accept that you missed the opportunity to do 4 unit (something that in uni won't be vital for most people even engineering students 3 unit is more than enough) and just focus on using that time in other subjects like chemistry.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What are you planning to do at University/after school? From the information provided I do not think you should repeat year 11.

bestcomeback

HSC
Honestly wouldn't repeat if I was you. Most courses in uni won't even need 4 unit maths, unless you are planning to do something like medicine where you need the extremely high ATAR, even so you can get same ATARs without 4 unit maths. So don't really see the benefit of repeating a whole year just for one subject. Have to look at it in the larger scope of things that being you lose one year when you could have just used that in first year university. Also, things like your friends won't be in the same uni year as you are also things to consider. That might make transition to uni harder. I would just personally accept that you missed the opportunity to do 4 unit (something that in uni won't be vital for most people even engineering students 3 unit is more than enough) and just focus on using that time in other subjects like chemistry.

I plan on doing medicine at uni, hence why i think repeating would be a great idea. I should also mention that im not only doing 4U for a high atar but rather just the interest in mathematics. any advice on how to achieve a 93 in chem? did you go tutoring, if so which place.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Even if its medicine don't know if its the greatest idea to repeat a year. a lot of students have that idea of I will repeat and then because I repeated I will get the high ATAR. I don't want to shoot you down in that it's good to have goals but also don't forget that you need to also be realistic in that if you haven't done well in the subject before just by repeating it, there's no guarantee that you will get amazing at it. For that reason better off just sticking to 2 unit maths and 3 unit if possible and just trying to ace those, as for medicine remember you need to consider the time you have to put into doing practice for the Umat test which as you have already said before you weren't able to do 4 unit cause you couldn't balance it with other subjects

I went to matrix tutoring in the holiday courses (so no tutoring during term), just went there really for the resources rather than needing help in the subject.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Doesn't really matter what you want to do in uni, repeating is a terrible idea and a complete waste of time. If you're interested in higher level math, then grab a textbook and read it.

bestcomeback

HSC
Even if its medicine don't know if its the greatest idea to repeat a year. a lot of students have that idea of I will repeat and then because I repeated I will get the high ATAR. I don't want to shoot you down in that it's good to have goals but also don't forget that you need to also be realistic in that if you haven't done well in the subject before just by repeating it, there's no guarantee that you will get amazing at it. For that reason better off just sticking to 2 unit maths and 3 unit if possible and just trying to ace those, as for medicine remember you need to consider the time you have to put into doing practice for the Umat test which as you have already said before you weren't able to do 4 unit cause you couldn't balance it with other subjects I went to matrix tutoring in the holiday courses (so no tutoring during term), just went there really for the resources rather than needing help in the subject.
What youre saying makes complete sense and i know where youre coming from, but i couldnt do 4U simply because of time. As i mentioned earlier i missed out on years 7-10 so catching up was difficult and i managed to catch up doing 2U and finding it easy enough. i know i could do 4U its just i didnr have the time and position other students had. i remember doing 3U from literally nothing, i didnt even do the prelim 2U course. but once i finished prelims i went back and taught myself all prelim 3U. its not the case of ive had every oppotunity and did bad in those courses, i know if i repeat ill do well and i know that ill be putting in the effort.

bestcomeback

HSC
Doesn't really matter what you want to do in uni, repeating is a terrible idea and a complete waste of time. If you're interested in higher level math, then grab a textbook and read it.
why do you think its a bad idea? wont it be better than doing an extra year than doing a few extra years at uni?

bestcomeback

HSC
In other words you need an ATAR of at least 94.3 (Newcastle UNI) or 95.5 (WSU), which should not be too much of a problem. I reckon you focus on acing your UCAT, that will do you a lot more good than an extra year in high school.
Dont i need a 99? the average ATAR acceptance into med in any uni is 97/98?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
why do you think its a bad idea? wont it be better than doing an extra year than doing a few extra years at uni?
Why would you be doing a few extra years at uni? Just do well in your first year and transfer across (where you might have some transferable credits), or do postgrad med. Either way, it's faster than repeating a year. Not to mention, repeating the HSC doesn't even guarantee you'll get in. What if you don't get in after repeating? Would you repeat a second time? There's plenty of alternative pathways into your desired course, so repeating y12 is unnecessary. You're also stopping your life for a year while your friends and everyone around you progresses on.

ahri

HSC
Average ATAR foir UNSW is 99.5, Usyd is .95 only. WSU and other Unis are definitely lower but that's the minimum mark, so you might get away with a high 98 ATAR and a really good UCAT score. Wouldn't recommend repeating just to do 4u though, seems like a waste of time. Maybe get into MedSci and transfer out to med in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)