Required units of study confusement. Please help! (1 Viewer)

obviouslyme

HSC
Hi boredofstudies!

I really need your help this time. I am so confused. I will be studying Commerce/Science this year and for Commerce, it is compulsory to do 36 core units of study which i will pack into my Semester 1 and 2. But I am wondering if I could do the core units later in the second year instead as I am left with 12 units for Science? And I want to do more science units than commerce :|

But if leaving the core Commerce units to 2016 is not ok, then I am good with taking just 12 units of science (just wondering if it's possible :D). Also is it possible to do junior units of Science (such as Chemistry and Biology) instead of the Maths/Stats in my first year? The faculty of Science requires (taken from USYD website):

• a minimum of 12 credit points in junior mathematics and statistics units of study;
  • a minimum of 24 credit points in junior units of study from two Science subject areas other than mathematics;
  • a minimum of 60 credit points in intermediate and senior units of study; and
  • at least one Science major (minimum 24 credit points of senior units of study) from the areas of study listed under the Bachelor of Science (Table 1) entry in the Science handbook.

Can i do the junior units of study in my first year and do maths/stats in my second year to progress? Or do i have to do Maths/stats?

I am also worried about majoring in physio. Because commerce is already 36 units, and i only have 12 units left and from the USYD Website, to major in physio you need:

Essential: 6 credit points of Junior Chemistry and 30 credit points of Junior study from the areas of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and/or Psychology.

So i don't have enough credit points to do the essentials for physios if i am doing the core units :blink2: Or am i misinterpreting this information? :chainsaw2:

Sorry about so many questions here - this is extremely new to me. Didn't know what GPA and WAM and credit points etc mean at all until just last week. Thank you so much for helping me :angel:

HSC
Hello obviouslyme!

I'm a second year Commerce/ Science student, so I can definitely help you out here. :D + I was considering a Physiology major last year so this makes me doubly qualified.

As for the 36CP of core units for Commerce, 6CP worth is actually a capstone unit taken in your last semester (BUSS3500), and another 6CP BUSS1020 is actually mutually exclusive with MATH1005, so you don't actually need to do it. Which leaves 24CP that are recommended to be taken in first year.

As far as I'm aware, BUSS1001 is the only core you absolutely have to take in first year.

I am wondering if I could do the core units later in the second year instead as I am left with 12 units for Science? And I want to do more science units than commerce :|
You are! BUSS1002, BUSS1030 and BUSS1040 can be taken later, but one thing to consider your Commerce major. Do you know which one you want to do? Doing the core units really help you out in figuring what you want to do.

Also is it possible to do junior units of Science (such as Chemistry and Biology) instead of the Maths/Stats in my first year?
It is! but I wouldn't really recommend it since BUSS1020/ MATH1005 are prereqs for some Commerce intermediate and senior subjects (e.g. Finance, Economics)

Can i do the junior units of study in my first year and do maths/stats in my second year to progress? Or do i have to do Maths/stats?
Yep, you're allowed, but like I said above, I wouldn't recommend it.

I am also worried about majoring in physio. Because commerce is already 36 units, and i only have 12 units left and from the USYD Website, to major in physio you need:

Essential: 6 credit points of Junior Chemistry and 30 credit points of Junior study from the areas of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and/or Psychology.

So i don't have enough credit points to do the essentials for physios if i am doing the core units :blink2: Or am i misinterpreting this information? :chainsaw2:
You're not misinterpreting this. You're absolutely right, and it does suck. Remember though, that you do have 5 years to finish this degree. :) Do you want to finish your Physiology major first and by third year? Are you considering other science majors?

The following should let you start second year Physiology subjects in second year.
Semester 1:
BUSS1001
MATH1001 (or MATH1901 which is the advanced equivalent)
MATH1002/ 1902
CHEM1101/1901/1903
BIOL1001/1911/1991 or BIOL1003/1903/1993

Semester 2:
BUSS1002/1030/1040 (up to you!)
MATH1003/ 1903
MATH1005/ 1905
MBLG1001/1901/1991
PSYC1002 or CHEM1102/1902/1904 or maybe PHYS but they recommend you do first sem Physics first.

So the core units you need to take in second year would just be whichever two you didn't do in second semester out of BUSS1002, BUSS1030 and BUSS1040. :)

obviouslyme

HSC
Hi Falseenthusiasm!!! Thank you so much for your help! I am so glad you also did Commerce/Science because then you really understood what i was saying! Thank you so much for helping me with this. Because of you, I have successfully enrolled. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer! :) :) :)

PS: I like your username haha. You just totally boosted my enthusiasm to study at uni :p Your post was really enthusiastic hahaha

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Hey falsenthusiasm, im doing a b of sci this year and intend to take on physiology major... do i need second year math units to do that???

HSC
Hey falsenthusiasm, im doing a b of sci this year and intend to take on physiology major... do i need second year math units to do that???
No you don't. :) You only need 12CP worth of first year maths units to fulfil your B Sci core units.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
No you don't. :) You only need 12CP worth of first year maths units to fulfil your B Sci core units.
So you reckon I should stick with the fundies instead of the normal mate units? Could I still get HD's and D's if I do them?

HSC
So you reckon I should stick with the fundies instead of the normal mate units? Could I still get HD's and D's if I do them?
I'm not sure I can answer this but I just took a stalk of your posting history so I'll give it a shot. Personally I'm at University to learn, so I believe in taking the most advanced units you're capable of. Sure, they might be harder, but you learn more for the same price. :p

I have to say if you come from a 4U maths background to take either the normal or advanced stream. (Advanced if you did well in 4U.) There are more Ds and HDs allocated in the advanced stream than in normal. I won't lie though; Advanced maths is hard.

You can definitely get Ds and HDs in any maths streams. Just note that you'll be looking at getting around 90-100% raw in normal stream to HD (not sure about fundies, but I'd assume you need close to 100%), whereas for the advanced stream, anywhere from about completing 65% of the final will be a high end D or HD.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
I'm not sure I can answer this but I just took a stalk of your posting history so I'll give it a shot. Personally I'm at University to learn, so I believe in taking the most advanced units you're capable of. Sure, they might be harder, but you learn more for the same price. [emoji14]

I have to say if you come from a 4U maths background to take either the normal or advanced stream. (Advanced if you did well in 4U.) There are more Ds and HDs allocated in the advanced stream than in normal. I won't lie though; Advanced maths is hard.

You can definitely get Ds and HDs in any maths streams. Just note that you'll be looking at getting around 90-100% raw in normal stream to HD (not sure about fundies, but I'd assume you need close to 100%), whereas for the advanced stream, anywhere from about completing 65% of the final will be a high end D or HD.
Would you suggest I go with perhaps two units from fundies and two from normal? Just your thought on the matter...

HSC
Would you suggest I go with perhaps two units from fundies and two from normal? Just your thought on the matter...
I honestly don't know much about the fundies units, so I can't make any suggestions there.

Which fundies and normal units are you looking to do? I can tell you that most people that did 4U and MATH1003 say it's a breeze. I can also tell you that I personally found MATH1004 fairly straightforward. Remember you can always take normal units at first, then drop down, or if you don't like normal/ fundies in first semester, change your stream for second semester.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
I honestly don't know much about the fundies units, so I can't make any suggestions there.

Which fundies and normal units are you looking to do? I can tell you that most people that did 4U and MATH1003 say it's a breeze. I can also tell you that I personally found MATH1004 fairly straightforward. Remember you can always take normal units at first, then drop down, or if you don't like normal/ fundies in first semester, change your stream for second semester.
Oh man I didn't know I could change or drop down like that, that makes things so much better... Yeah I would love to see the difficulty in them, I originally had normal units on my timetable, but because I'm not going to use maths in second and third year then I decided to drop down... Do you reckon I should ask usyd about my problemo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)